Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, This should probably go in the Newbie fourm but I am not sure... I have a really basic question but I am not sure where to start to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Roaming users on RH

Hi all,

This should probably go in the Newbie fourm but I am not sure...

I have a really basic question but I am not sure where to start to find out the answer!!!

I have 3 Linux machines 1 running Redhat 9 and 2 running Redhat 7.3. The Redhat 9 machine is used as a file server and the 7.3 machines are used for running analysis jobs.

How do I set up the file server (Redhat 9 machine) to serve usernames and passwords? All I want to do is add all users to this machine then be able to log on to both of the 7.3 machines with these user names.

In the future I will be adding more 7.3 machines and they will need to be able to user the usernames as well.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Barry....

Linux Newbie
    Make A Linux Domain. It will be your PDC and FILESERVER.
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

Linux User

NIS

I think you should set up NIS. This will allow you to manage all users from a single pc (your NIS server).

You may also set up NFS so that you can mount the /homes folder across the network.

There are loads of NIS howto's on the web have a google or try www.tldp.org

good luck
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Re: NIS

Quote Originally Posted by kpzani
    I think you should set up NIS. This will allow you to manage all users from a single pc (your NIS server).
    NIS is a good start. LDAP can also be used. LDAP would allow you to has cross-platform capabilities.
    You may also set up NFS so that you can mount the /homes folder across the network.
    This would be a *MUST* if you want to get Windows-style roaming profiles.

There are loads of NIS howto's on the web have a google or try www.tldp.org
    I have a hyperlink to a mirror of the TLDP PDF section..

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs...r-formats/pdf/

There Ya go

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Thanks all, I think that I am going to set up a NIS server and NIS clients. I have downloaded the HOW TO from TLDP and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks Again

Barry..