Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just bought this new pc and have dual booted SuSE 10.1 with Win XP. I have the same version of SuSE 10.1 installed on 2 other computers and had no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

SuSE 10.1 internet connection problem

Just bought this new pc and have dual booted SuSE 10.1 with Win XP. I have the same version of SuSE 10.1 installed on 2 other computers and had no problems with the network connection, but during install twice now, there's been a failure to connect to the internet. The fail log just says:

eth0 device: nvidia corporation MCP51 ethernet controller (rev al)
    eth0 configuration eth-id-00:01:6c:ed:43:dc
    DHCP client is already running on eth0

Once installed I noticed there was no ip or broadcast address when I ran ifconfig, so I went into Yast and set it up manually with the IP address that the Win XP partition had. By the way, I have 2 other computers running on the same network through an adsl gateway router without problems, one of them is soley SuSE 10.1 and the other SuSE 9.3 dual booted with Win XP. I must stress that the new pc can connect to the internal network/internet fine when it's booted into Win XP.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I can try please?

UPDATE:

I finally (after 2 days of searching on google) got the right combination of info that brought up another person with the exact same problem on another forum!! This is the advice that was given to sort the problem:

"There a 'bug' somewhere and what you'll need to do is turn off the computer and unplug the power cord then when repowered up the ethernet will work on Linux. Can't remember the technicals (may wish to visit Nvidia Linux forum) but there's something that doesn't get cleared after you've run Windows in the card and rebooting or powering off won't clear the problem only total absense of electricity will."

I gave it a try and it worked a treat - so anyone else who's thinking of installing SuSE 10.1, then you may find this info of some help.

Just Joined!

Yup

That was excatley the issuse I havebeen having for the past two days, I was just about to wait through the hour long installation again to see if that would fix anything. I did what you said, turned off comp. unpluged cord. put back cord, booted up : internet working great! Thanks!!

Great! I'm glad I could help

The only annoying thing is you have to pull the cable every time you reboot into Linux from Windows! Another reason for me NOT to use Windows I guess

Just Joined!
    what if ur using SUSE on a virtual machine (VMWare Player)?

Quote Originally Posted by SumDumBum
    what if ur using SUSE on a virtual machine (VMWare Player)?
    Hmmm that's an interesting thought. I am in the process of learning about vmware actually right now. Will let you know when I get it installed.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jshanh25
    That was excatley the issuse I havebeen having for the past two days, I was just about to wait through the hour long installation again to see if that would fix anything. I did what you said, turned off comp. unpluged cord. put back cord, booted up : internet working great! Thanks!!
    Yes, it worked for me too!! Thanks so much. Hereonwards I shall try unplugging power every time I run into some computer problem which looks quite senseless.