Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi again guys, Earlier today, just all of a sudden, all SSH and FTP connections to my internal Linux box just slowed down to a crawl. After the connection/authentication though, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SSH and FTP connect slow

Hi again guys,

Earlier today, just all of a sudden, all SSH and FTP connections to my internal Linux box just slowed down to a crawl. After the connection/authentication though, everything was back to normal speed. Until you have to connect again. A box reboot didnt work either.

Now, from previous experience, I immediately suspected reverse DNS lookups. I added my internal PC's ip addresses to the /etc/hosts file, and the problem disappeared.

However, why would the problem only start today? It's been running fine without any /etc/hosts entries for weeks now, and just today it started being ridiculous.

Any ideas?

Just a guess, but a change in the DNS server you're using(external to your internal network) might have caused this. This might depend on what internal IPs you're using. If you're not running your own DNS, you could try that, but you're got a fast working solution now so if it ain't broke...

DT