Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, linux beginner here. After a week of trying various things, I finally got ndiswrapper to work! I was very, very pleased, as it was the first thing I was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ndiswrapper ?

Hi, linux beginner here. After a week of trying various things, I finally got ndiswrapper to work! I was very, very pleased, as it was the first thing I was able to get working in linux. My only question is:

1.) I understand what depmod -a, and modprobe ndiswrapper do, but will I have to run them after every boot? If so, can this be automated to run on boot?

2.) The wireless card doesn't seem to be graphically configurable, which is understandable because it isn't using a native linux driver, and I know what the configuration commands are and how to use them (iwconfig, ifconfig, dhclient, etc.), and I could just create a launcher for each one, but is there a way to automate this; Or at least automate it to the point where I could create one launcher to leave on the desktop to run when I want internet access?

Nick

What distro are you using? That should help with the automated on boot thing.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

Just Joined!
    Ah, sorry, should have mentioned that.....I'm running Fedora Core 5, kernel-2.6.16. Thanks!

Nick

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Also, I seem to be having a freezing issue that didn't exist before. I had used the ethernet cable for a short time, and ran most of these installs with no internet at all. Now all of the sudden, the the whole system freezes after 10 minutes or so, not even caps lock works. It hasnt done it WITHOUT firefox running yet, but that isnt telling, because firefox is open most of the time anyway. Everything with the wrapper works fine. Could this be a symptom of the 4k stack size? It doesnt hang on modprobe, that works fine. Any other thoughts?

Nick