Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Mandrake 10.1 desktop and I want to use a Linksys WRT54GL router in my home and as a gateway through my DSL modem to the Internet. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake Box Can't See Linksys Router

I have a Mandrake 10.1 desktop and I want to use a Linksys WRT54GL router in my home and as a gateway through my DSL modem to the Internet.

I have a wired Ethernet connection between the desktop and the router. But the desktop cannot "see" the router. My ISP told me I have a static IP, but that I should initially contact the router using DHCP to configure the router.

I think I may be doing something wrong in creating/specifying the necessary DHCP connection.

TIA

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    But the desktop cannot "see" the router. .... but that I should initially contact the router using DHCP to configure the router.TIA
    That it correct, you got to use DHCP initially to get the IP in the same class as your modem(router) is. So what is the problem with DHCP, cant you configure your ethernet card to get IP from DHCP ?

Though i think, you can use any ip in 192.168.1.x series with 255.255.255.0 mask & gateway 192.168.1.1 & then browse 192.168.1.1, for configuring your router(modem). I am sure though, as i am not much aware about linksys router.