Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got ndiswrapper working with my d-link dwl-g120 usb adapter. i am using the 16 stack kernel, 2.6.17-1.2145_FC.stk16. That is the exact output of uname -r. I can load the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ndiswrapper and kernel crash

I got ndiswrapper working with my d-link dwl-g120 usb adapter. i am using the 16 stack kernel, 2.6.17-1.2145_FC.stk16. That is the exact output of uname -r. I can load the ndiswrapper module, and configure my network, connect to my AP, and have full web access......for about 5 minutes. After that, any open applications close themselves, one by one, and the whole kernel experiences a caps-lock killing crash. Please, I have tried to do everything right, and everything works for the first 5 minutes. I am really at wits end as it took me 2 weeks to learn enough linux to get the wrapper and driver working in the first place. Could this just be a gremlin brought about by trying too many options and be solved by a reinstall of the OS, kernel, and wrapper, could it be a conflict with another module.......Anybody?

Nick

Just Joined!
    anyone.....?

I had similar problems with ndiswrapper and Linksys wusb54g. Ndiswrapper can work almost perfectly with some chipsets and have a range of difficulties with others. Things to try: use a different Windows version of the driver. If you're using the WinXP driver, try Win2000 or even WinME. Also, some versions of ndiswrapper will work better than others on some wireless cards/adapters. Maybe try a previous version of ndiswrapper or try one of the latest builds over "stable." What chipset does your D-link use?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Wow, thank you for responding. this is the exact entry from the ndiswrapper wiki for my card:

Card: D-Link DWL-G120 REV B1

* Chipset: Prism GT USB
    * usbid: 2001:3701
    * Driver: Driver available online .#*Driver version 04/2004, 1.00.15 (branded as a Conexant driver; D-Link's drivers are older and less stable).
    * Other: Works with WEP. Linux 2.6.10 ndiswrapper-1.5 has made this card extremely stable.

Looks like the PrismGT USB chipset. I have also confirmed that 2001:3701 is the value I get when running lsusb from the terminal. I think at the moment I am on the XP driver. I will try some others. Earlier versions of ndiswrapper give me the usb_driver error when compiling loader.c during the install, so im not so sure I can roll back on that. Also, the wiki entry as you can see says that the d-link drivers are less stable, to use one that is branded conexant. I cannot find any conexant drivers cross referenced with my d-link card
    Also, as far as drivers are concerned, the driver .zip file I got from dlink has 2 cab files. They both seem to contain the same set of file.....any idea which is best to use?

In trying to narrow it down, I also realized that I dont even have to be connected to the internet for it to crash, it seems to crash about 10 minutes after running modprobe ndiswrapper. Should I try unloading the diver, and running modprobe to see if it still crashes? Maybe that would indicate if it is the driver or the wrapper itself? Thanks so much.

Nick

Just Joined!
    The ME driver seems to be the most stable, but it will still lock up, just takes longer. Anything else......I'm about ready to quit.

Nick

I don't think the problem is with ndiswrapper itself. This may help...
    Link
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here