Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i'm trying to learn how to do a router/gateway/firewall linux box, gateway pc is slackware 10.2/2.4.31 stock, stock rc.firewall using Easy Firewall Generator for IPTables from http://easyfwgen.morizot.net/gen/ as i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

iptables newbie help please, got it working somewhat

hi, i'm trying to learn how to do a router/gateway/firewall linux box,
    gateway pc is slackware 10.2/2.4.31 stock, stock rc.firewall using Easy
    Firewall Generator for IPTables from http://easyfwgen.morizot.net/gen/

as i said i'm trying to learn how to do iptables so i'm trying this from
    behind an smc router before i connect the internet to the gateway pc

gateway pc has two nics, nic one internet from smc router to ip 192.168.0.196
    using gateway 192.168.0.1, nic two for the lan ip 192.168.1.196, rc.firewall
    reflects those ip's, not using DHCP using static ip's

i'm using another slackware pc to test this out which has /etc/rc.d/c.inet1.conf
    ip 192.168.1.198 gateway 192.168.1.196, /etc/resolv.conf has 192.168.1.196

lan nic of the gateway is connected to a switch, slackware pc is connected to the
    switch

i can ping www.slackware.com from the gateway pc, i can't ping www.slackware.com
    from the slackware pc but i can ping www.slackware.com if i use the ip, this
    also happens using firefox, i can't get to www.slackware.com but i can if i use
    the ip

also a windows pc on the lan can't ping the gateway pc

i will provide any additional information, thanks

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by casualslacker
    i can ping www.slackware.com from the gateway pc, i can't ping www.slackware.com
    from the slackware pc but i can ping www.slackware.com if i use the ip, this
    also happens using firefox, i can't get to www.slackware.com but i can if i use
    the ip
    also a windows pc on the lan can't ping the gateway pc

i will provide any additional information, thanks
    This is a DNS problem, seems you are not forwarding all of your DNS queries you are recieving at your GATEWAY PC over to internet. What does
    Code:
    #cat /etc/resolv.conf
    says at your gateway PC.

Btw, how does your LAN clients access internet ? (forget the name queries at this moment), Are you using any proxy or doing SNAT/MASQUAREDING ?

Just Joined!
    hi, thanks

cat /etc/resolv.conf says 'nameserver 192.168.0.1' ip of the smc router, gateway pc can ping www.slackware.com, smc router is connected to cable modem

lan clients connect to smc router at this time until i learn how to do gateway/router/firewall

i have just the other slackware pc connected to switch, gateway pc gets internet from router, lan nic of gateway pc is connected to switch

i dont have any gui on the g/r/fw pc, just doing command line

thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close