Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. This is my first post here. So far I've been able to figure out most things I've needed concerning Linux, but this one has me stumped. When I start ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Incredibly slow internet, fine under windows

Hi. This is my first post here. So far I've been able to figure out most things I've needed concerning Linux, but this one has me stumped. When I start up a browser (in the most recent case Konqueror, but it happens for every one I've tried), it will download for the first few tenths of a second at an alright pace, but then I see the speed go down exponentially (in bits/s) until it says that the connection to the host is broken. This happens to all web pages I've tried. Very small pages load fine, but anything with an image on it will slow down until it stops. Right now I'm running Slackware 9.1 with a NetGear FA311 card behind a personal router and then a hub. The same thing happens in my dorm room at school, which is switched. The problem also occurred with Mandrake and Knoppix. wget is also slow, as is ftp. Here's what I got with ifconfig after loading Google and trying to do a search for linux forums, which stopped less than halfway through loading:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:09:5B:20:C7:FD
    inet addr:192.168.1.101 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:29 errors:13 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:26
    TX packets:25 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
    RX bytes:10076 (9.8 Kb) TX bytes:4679 (4.5 Kb)
    Interrupt:5 Base address:0xa000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

I'm thinking that it might have something to do with RX packet errors, but have no idea how I could fix that. Like I said, everything works fine under Windows (it's a dual boot machine). I'd really like to use Linux as my primary operating system, but this problem is a major hurdle. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Linux Engineer
    what chipset does this netgear.... use it should tell u in lspci if u dont know

make sure you are usign the right driver for it.

try recompiling your kernel and make sure u ahve all the networkign stuff setup properly, a lot of distro kernels arent set up very well.

It uses the realtek chipeset.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Excuse me sir.
    Would u help me to guide to mounting windows Fat32 partations in Redhat Linux 9.0 . I 'm new to Linux. I'm in trouble.
    thanks.

Just Joined!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by novocaine1
    Hi. This is my first post here. So far I've been able to figure out most things I've needed concerning Linux, but this one has me stumped. When I start up a browser (in the most recent case Konqueror, but it happens for every one I've tried), it will download for the first few tenths of a second at an alright pace, but then I see the speed go down exponentially (in bits/s) until it says that the connection to the host is broken. This happens to all web pages I've tried. Very small pages load fine, but anything with an image on it will slow down until it stops. Right now I'm running Slackware 9.1 with a NetGear FA311 card behind a personal router and then a hub. The same thing happens in my dorm room at school, which is switched. The problem also occurred with Mandrake and Knoppix. wget is also slow, as is ftp. Here's what I got with ifconfig after loading Google and trying to do a search for linux forums, which stopped less than halfway through loading:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:09:5B:20:C7:FD
    inet addr:192.168.1.101 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:29 errors:13 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:26
    TX packets:25 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
    RX bytes:10076 (9.8 Kb) TX bytes:4679 (4.5 Kb)
    Interrupt:5 Base address:0xa000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

I'm thinking that it might have something to do with RX packet errors, but have no idea how I could fix that. Like I said, everything works fine under Windows (it's a dual boot machine). I'd really like to use Linux as my primary operating system, but this problem is a major hurdle. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    I can ping to any ip using terminal/tty1 , but in graphical mode, i can't surf any web site. I am having the same configuration as you when I ran ifconfig. I am also using the realtek chip.
    FYI, I an new to linux and just installed KNOPPIX. really don't know why.