Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am a stranger to Linux based routing software. I use a linux firewall and an ADSL router to connect my LAN users to the internet. Since some users ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux Concentrator/ Router Traffic Forwarding

Hi,

I am a stranger to Linux based routing software. I use a linux firewall and an ADSL router to connect my LAN users to the internet. Since some users are connecting to a remote VPN server while other users are browsing and downloading, the low bandwidth ADSL line (512 Kbit/s download) makes the internet connectivity slow for all users.

As an alternative for the above mentioned problem(slowness), management has decided to get another high speed ADSL line (2 Mbit/s) . Management wants VPN users to connect to the VPN through the high speed line always and when the VPN users are not using VPN connection other users should be allowed to use both the low speed line and the high speed line to access the internet. Further he wants open source software to do that. Is the above requirement can be fulfilled by implementing Linux based software? If it is possible how can it be implemented? An early reply is appreciated.

Thank you.

Amitha Prabath.

any idea

Does anyone know to do something regarding my request?

thanx

Amitha.

Linux Enthusiast
    Why not implement a single ISP connection that possesses enough bandwidth? I cannot foresee a reason to employ two ISP connections when a single/adequate connection will suffice. All you are really doing is doubling costs and support.

Now, to answer your question, yes, you can implement one of several opensource solutions. One of my favorites is IPCop. You can setup two machines to accomplish the above requirements and I do not think that you can achieve the above on a single box - since you will have two DG's. Then again, I've never tried such a task.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thank you very much for the information. I'll try IpCop.

The thing that we are not going to use a single high bandwidth connection is due to a decision took by my management. I can't interfere that. I think he has decided that because due to some faliure of one line we can use the other one.

I'll expect your help in the future. Still i haven't implemet the idea. Thanx

Amitha