Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ello I've just got a new broadband line set up but I can't get my Linux machine to do anything useful with it. I can access the internet with my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network problem -- DNS?

Ello

I've just got a new broadband line set up but I can't get my Linux machine to do anything useful with it.

I can access the internet with my girlfriend's Windows laptop so I'm happy the modem/router is working OK. The Linux machine can access the router directly, but refuses to connect to google.com (etc.)

I'm guessing it's a DNS problem but I don't really know anything about networking and haven't a clue how to start trying to fix it. Any help would be appreciated. The DNS address seems to get set to the IP address of the router -- is this supposed to happen?

I'm using Ubuntu. My router is made by etec, and has a built-in modem.

Thanks

Does your ISP use DHCP? Paste the output of "cat /etc/resolv.conf"
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
    nameserver 192.168.1.1

I've just noticed something weird though. I find I can actually ping google and even download stuff with wget. The problem is with graphical apps like gaim, firefox, evolution etc. Maybe it is a problem with the Gnome setup? I tried an Ubuntu live CD (to check I hadn't just accidentally broken something) and I had the same result.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    So DNSs are fine since it is resolving the domains.

Try a totally different browser like Dillo

# apt-get install dillo

of course

just to be sure:

# apt-get install fluxbox

And select it in welcome screen before loging
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Quote Originally Posted by newbierich
    $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
    nameserver 192.168.1.1

I've just noticed something weird though. I find I can actually ping google and even download stuff with wget. The problem is with graphical apps like gaim, firefox, evolution etc. Maybe it is a problem with the Gnome setup? I tried an Ubuntu live CD (to check I hadn't just accidentally broken something) and I had the same result.
    You dont have a web proxy defined that is no longer online do you? Fire up gconf_editor (it's a bit like regedit in windows) and browse the tree to /system/http_proxy and see if 'host' is defined. If it is, find out if that host is active, and if the proxy process is active and running on it, and if it not, either modify your gnome config or get the proxy working.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Oops, my reply didn't seem to post. Try again...

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo
    So DNSs are fine since it is resolving the domains.

Try a totally different browser like Dillo

# apt-get install dillo

of course

just to be sure:

# apt-get install fluxbox

And select it in welcome screen before loging
    apt-get won't work

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    You dont have a web proxy defined that is no longer online do you? Fire up gconf_editor (it's a bit like regedit in windows) and browse the tree to /system/http_proxy and see if 'host' is defined. If it is, find out if that host is active, and if the proxy process is active and running on it, and if it not, either modify your gnome config or get the proxy working.
    Nope, host undefined. That was why I tried the Live CD, to check that I hadn't set anything weirdly.

Thanks for your help, but I haven't got anywhere yet!

Dns

try using dig www.google.com and nslookup www.google.com, ping www.google.com then paste the result here..or configure your /etc/resolv.conf to use root DNS..http://www.root-servers.org/