Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i have two pcs both running Fedora 5 only, no other os on them. 1. can i make a network of these 2 in order to learn the linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Linux to Linux Networking but help needed

Hi,

i have two pcs both running Fedora 5 only, no other os on them.

1. can i make a network of these 2 in order to learn the linux side of networking? i want one of them to be the server and other the client. is this possible? if yes, then what do i need to do? use samba, scp, nfs, sshfs?

2. i want the server and client to share files, folders, printer, mail all that is possible. but i do not know what else is possible. can you please tell me as what i can do more or what the possibilities are?

3. i want the server to be able to take a complete control of the client ie trun it on, shut down etc. is it possible? if yes, then what i need to do.

i have been looking around the net to find a guide to setting up samba for newbies like me on Fedora 5 but can't seem to be able to find any thing at all with reference to Fedora 5. most of the material is about connecting windows and linux using samba which is not the case for me. mine is both fedroa 5 pcs as said earlier. can any one please give me a simple step by step guides/urls that i can try to follow on my own. since i want to connect only 2 pcs, i hope it should be not that difficult even for an idiot like me. to be honest, i am completely new to linux and trying my best to learn as much as on my own, so please guide me and thanks a lot for your time. i really appreciate it.

Yes, this is all easy - much easier than if you were using FC5 and another OS.

1. My advice is to get a cheap hub or switch and two cheapo RTL8139-based network cards, provided both the PC's dont have networking built in. Use static IP addresses as there's only two computers.

2. Set up your printer on one machine with Cups. Use NFS to share drives (particularly useful to share /home). Use Apache if you want a webserver. Use NIS if you want one machine to hold the logon accounts for everyone.

3. You can do this both ways, use SSH to get a log-in prompt either way around, and execute the 'shutdown' command or whatever other command you want to use. Turning it on might be tricky, perhaps you could play around with the 'wake on lan' stuff. I've never been there, tho...

Dont worry about Samba - you wont need it - although the stuff on samba.org applies to pretty much any distribution.

Also, you shouldn't need a step by step guide, 'cos the services I've listed above tend to be the simpler ones to configure (with the possible exception of Apache). Your first stop for these should be to read the manpages and try to figure it out - and come by here to ask specific questions (we like specific questions, its the vague wooly ones like 'how do I get my coffee machine to work with Debian' that annoy folks...).

Anyway, I suggest you set the services up in this order:

Networking - use the Fedora network tool to set this up. You need to specify static IP addresses (use 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2) and different hostnames for both machines. Put both the hostnames into /etc/hosts on both machines.

Merge the /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, and /etc/group files from both and set up NIS for authentication. At the very least you need to make sure that both machines use the same numbers for UID and GID for all users on both machines for the next step to work properly, even if you dont do the NIS thing straight away.

Set up NFS to share the /home drive of one of the computers, once it's mounted copy all the user data across, so you have all the previous /home/<user> directories on one machine, and it's mounted on the other with NFS. You can move on to automount later, but you really only need the /home directory. Watch out for UID and GID differences, as I pointed out in the last step.

Set up Cups to share the printer - that's got a web interface and it's quite easy.

Finally start playing with more advanced services such as web servers and whatnot.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!

configure DNS.....

u can try

configure DNS in one
    u have to write in named.conf
    define zones ,check sample file on web

another file to touch is resolve.conf,and entries of client in /etc/hosts.

for file transfer use scp..command

try n tell i am also new.......
    samba has different purpose all together

Linux Newbie
    hi guys,

thanks a lot for the replies. i have now figured out as what exactly i want to achieve. all i am going to do is setting up an intranet like situation at home with none of the pc (server or client) actually ever to be connected to the internet but to each other only.

1. i am gonna use two pcs with fedora 5 on both of them. no windows on any of them. both single boot.

2. i want one of them to be the server (pc 1) and other the client (pc 2).

3. none of them is gonna be connected to the internet so this is just a small home network. only the 2 pcs talking to each other only.

4. the server should behave like the one we often find in big companies these days. it should hold the log in details of each user that uses the other pc (client/pc 2). the server is for server/network administrator only and nobody else is gonna use it. the client is for users only. whenever a user using the client pc starts the machine he should be prompted to enter username and password.

5. i will design webpages in php-mysql and store them on server only and these web pages should be served to the client when he types the address of the pages in fireforx browser. just like any body accessing bbc or yahoo sites. this is sort of intranet set up. if a webpage allows users to a file for example their cv from the client machine, they should be able to do so.

6. users using the client machine irrespective of whatever they save or modify as their personal file/work should be saved on the server only. just like a student or employee making a file then saving it on uni/company server space only rather the machine's hard drive.

7. i want users on the client machine to be able to check their e-mails. like on windows machines people can send e-mail to each other within the company using outlook express. i do not know which software is used on linux pcs to do so. please let me know.

8. when i am installing fedora 5 on server (pc 1) and client (pc 2) i should be giving them static ip addresses as read some where. is this right? what should be the ip addresses then? 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 respectively? or something else?

i think in order to achieve the whole thing, i must use http, apache, ftp, ldap, nis etc. but do not know which one for what purpose in specific. i have mentioned as what i want above. please guide me to achieve this. i am sorry i m very new to linux and need a lot of help. please help me. i will do my best. thanks.

4 - Use NIS (formerly YP) to hold logon data - just add accounts to the server, export them using the YP system. You also want to mount the /home partition from the server on the client, do this using NFS (/etc/exports on the server, and /etc/fstab on the client).

5 - Seems pretty complicated for an isolated system. If you like doing it tho', go ahead! Setting up a web server is easy enough, handling the name lookups is easy too - just stick both computers and their IP addresses in /etc/hosts and make sure that file is the same on both machines.

6 - would be provided by the solution to 4.

7 - if you're not connected to the internet, then how will you have email? If you've got two users for this network, then maybe they should just stick post-it notes to each others screen? If you must do this, then there are several options; Sendmail, Postfix and Exim, and there are other too. You can back these up with IMAP access through Dovecot or Cyrus, or on of their equivalents, and round the lot off with webmail access using Squirrelmail.

8 - Yes, use those addresses, they're fine. You probably want a netmask of 255.255.255.252 for that, or 255.255.255.248 if you're planning to add a couple of computers later.

You really wont need to use LDAP for this. Keeping things simple, particularly early on is a good idea. You can move into more extensive services as your confidence and skills with Linux grow.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/