Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to setup iptable so that any given host can't resolve my IP address. Does anyone know how to implement this in iptables?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HOWTO block DNS with iptables

I am trying to setup iptable so that any given host can't resolve my IP address. Does anyone know how to implement this in iptables?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nexus024
    I am trying to setup iptable so that any given host can't resolve my IP address. Does anyone know how to implement this in iptables?
    You can block dns...
    But what you are wanting to do is impossible.

Just Joined!
    It is impossible for my address to fail to resolve?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Here is what I am trying to do and someone tell me if it is possible.

I run a game server that sends out periodic messages/signals to a master server. These messages tell the master server that it is an active game server and it then adds the servers ip to a list. This list is then displayed when a client refreshes his/her game browser. The problem is that eventually the game servers address will travel so far down this list that it will eventually take forever before it pops up in the browser.

I have found out that if the master server can't resolve the game servers address then it will clear it from its list. The idea is when a message is sent to the master server somehow have iptables setup so it can't resolve my address. Once the address is taken off the list... allow the master server to resolve my address so its re-added.

Please let me know if this is can be implemented somehow on a linux box.

I'm quite sure the master server does a simple ping to your IP address. ICMPs can be blocked with iptables.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds