Find the answer to your Linux question:
After much troubleshooting, I discovered my network problems were likely related to the drivers for my ethernet card. I found a thread on this message board that seemed relevant, something ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora 5/CNet Pro200 nic card - driver problems

After much troubleshooting, I discovered my network problems were likely related to the drivers for my ethernet card.

I found a thread on this message board that seemed relevant, something to do with FC choosing the tulip generic driver rather than dmfe. The thread I found was SuSe specific (http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/sus...internet.html), but I was able to figure out how to change the driver temporarily with modprobe (at least I think that's what I did). The directions were:

OK, it seems that the firewall isn't the problem. Time to try swapping the
    drivers over.

Code:

/etc/init.d/network stop
    modprobe -r tulip
    modprobe dmfe /
    etc/init.d/network start
    find /sys/bus/pci/drivers -name 0000:02:09.0
    ping 192.168.1.1

So I did that, changing to the right directories, numbers, etc for my setup.

When I did network start again EUREKA! Determining IP address for eth0
    actually worked! ifconfig eth0 shows an IP address! And the right one even!!

And yet.. I still can't ping the router or see out.

And if I read this thread right, the driver change isn't permanent anyway and
    will disappear on reboot.

Help?

Also, I am a total noob, so the more explicit you can be about what I should do, the more likely I'll actually be able to figure out how to do it.

Thanks in advance for any help, I've been beating my head against this for two days.

Just Joined!

Gave up

After reading several threads all over the place and realizing that many users experienced this problem with the CNet Pro200 nic card using various flavors, I decided heck with it, no use killing myself trying to get an old card to work.

I switched to a different nic card and hey presto everything works.