Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by pie-rate It's totally ****ing ridiculous that I should have to read a 200 page iptables manual to learn to forward a single udp port. ... So how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by pie-rate
    It's totally ****ing ridiculous that I should have to read a 200 page iptables manual to learn to forward a single udp port.

So how do I do the EXACT SAME THING for a UDP port?
    Now you're getting annoyed, it seems you're getting annoyed with us, but really it's not our doing. Let me just quote you something from this web page:

Quote Originally Posted by rinetd.conf manpage
    LIMITATIONS
    rinetd redirects TCP connections only. There is no support for UDP. rinetd only redirects protocols which use a single TCP socket. This rules out FTP.
    So that utterly rules out the tool you have been using. So you have to find a different tool.

I think IPtables is the tool you need, but I dont have much experience of using it. I'm pretty sure you dont have to read the whole of a 200 page manual to get it working, you just have to familiarise yourself with the basic layout of a IPtables statement, then pinch an example that seems close to what you want and modify it.

There may be others on here that understand IPtables better than I do, but please remember that everyone helping here is a volunteer; they dont have to help you, they do so because they're good people. Getting annoyed with them makes them less inclined to help.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    Now you're getting annoyed, it seems you're getting annoyed with us, but really it's not our doing. Let me just quote you something from this web page:

So that utterly rules out the tool you have been using. So you have to find a different tool.
    I realize rinetd does not work with UDP. I have spent hours searching for a tool that does, and the only thing I've found is iptables. I was simply using it as an example to show how totally simple it is to forward a TCP port, while you were doubting (and not explaining why) it is even possible.

I asked why, the thread seemed to die, so I posted an admittedly inflammatory bump in an attempt to get an answer.

I think IPtables is the tool you need, but I dont have much experience of using it. I'm pretty sure you dont have to read the whole of a 200 page manual to get it working, you just have to familiarise yourself with the basic layout of a IPtables statement, then pinch an example that seems close to what you want and modify it.
    I've also spent hours searching for a decent example. No dice.

Linux Newbie
    Have you tried "man iptables | grep udp"? Or "man iptables | grep port"?

Oh check out (second time I posted this day) this nice guide to iptables--

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/...firewall_HOWTO

Even though it seems unbearable to skim a huge manual on iptables, you can make it easier for other people in the future if you write a guide to how you did it once you've figured it out.

Just Joined!
    Hahaha, I just googled "rinetd udp"
    This thread is #1.
    It is unbelievable that no one has wanted to do this before.

Linux Newbie
    Well please post the solution for other posters who wonder across this thread.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by pie-rate View Post
    I already knew that it could be done that way, I just don't know how.

I was hoping for something like rinetd's insanely simple config:
    0.0.0.0 28070 192.168.0.31 28070
    you mean like an insanely simple iptables oneliner like:

/sbin/iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p udp --dport 28070 -j DNAT --to 192.168.0.31:28070

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by wasimbaig View Post
    you mean like an insanely simple iptables oneliner like:

/sbin/iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p udp --dport 28070 -j DNAT --to 192.168.0.31:28070
    Way to raise the dead. I happened to look in my apache logs and see someone attempted to access a screenshot (which was deleted ages ago) that I linked from here.

Anyway, this thread is embarrassing. Looks like I was a total douchebag in it.

Thanks for providing a solution, though. I don't even play games anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2