Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am New to Linux.I am using Linux 9.0 ver. I want to setup firewall on the internet server.We have leased line.Tell me how to access internet from these lease ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Firewall

I am New to Linux.I am using Linux 9.0 ver. I want to setup firewall on the internet server.We have leased line.Tell me how to access internet from these lease line.After that how to configure the iptables for restriction to user.

Vijay

Vijay,
    a little more information, please.

What do your leased lines plug into? A router? A card on your PC? What?

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

flw
    Linux Engineer

post on firewalls

Maybe easier to print for reading.

Post at http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/vie...389&highlight=

This opens up what I have thought was a basic hole in our on site documention.

We do not have any good information on this site for new users on what a linux user would do for a firewall. I believe we could use a "new user how to create iptables/firewall" for normal usage.

It would include functions/connectively for:

1. General surfing including ssl sites

2. Pop3 mail

3. Remarked out but included just incase script lines for ftp, ssh, newsgroups, webserver, any IM stuff you may know of, along with anything you think should be added.

4. Create a ongoing or rolling log based on a 7 or 15 day max connectivity log length is only to control size since some user may create hugh log and others small. In my opion I think we can assume the user is a heavy surfer-he's here already so he may be a fellow geek :> . In a standard location for ease of disto differences like /etc or /home thing.

5. Notes/remarks put within the script for each section so a user that may not understand the code, will understand what each section does. i.e the code below enables ingoing and outgoing email and "if you don't want pop3 email put a .... infront of the first line" thing.

6. Since the target users are new users, a separate piece on where to locate the script so it loads on startup and names/locations of any conf files needed so it is runs.

7. For different distro's a two sentences on how to find the files via find or locate.

8. A disclaimer that some distro's vary the names of the file or locations just as a awareness issue as well as the distro/version you tested it out on.

9. For troubshooting how to turn it off and back on. Which ever method that you feel would be the simplest to follow not neccessary the shortest for new users.

The goal is not to teach users to write solid iptables but how to use a solid premade iptable script that would filt most users needs and some remarked functions for those that just need abit more. Along with the where the file should be and is there any thing else that needs to be changed to make it work at bootup, describing changes with examples.

Since today firewalls are "a must have" and iptables are almost universally available in all distro's at no cost its currently the best answer for many users.

A good how to on this for new users would answer many current and future quesitons.

Please let me know if your interested in this or not. Ok if your not. I just see your level of talent and breath of experience in other sections that makes you a excellant choice for this.

Thanks for your time.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!

hello sir

Quote Originally Posted by Nerderello
    Vijay,
    a little more information, please.

What do your leased lines plug into? A router? A card on your PC? What?

have fun

Nerderello
    Thanx for ur replay,

Sir my leased line is connected to Router.And now I want to connect this line to my firewall PC. From this PC I want to restrict my users from viewing the sites , Yahoo Messanger etc.

Kindly replay me my id is vijay_mohod@yahoo.com

Regards

Vijay