Find the answer to your Linux question:
In Linux how to find out whether there is an IP conflict? i.e. if someone else (hosts) has already taken up that IP, which I am assigning to my computer? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

IP Conflict

In Linux how to find out whether there is an IP conflict? i.e. if someone else (hosts) has already taken up that IP, which I am assigning to my computer?

One very easy (and I guess one of the most common) way is to try and ping that IP address to find out whether a host with that particular IP exist in the network. But there are ways for e.g. stealth mode in Zonealarm Firewall for windows by which you can make your host invisible in the network, so that it wont even reply to pinging. Then how to find out whether there is IP conflict in Linux, apparantly it does not alarm the user of such a situation.

In some versions like Suse they might give some warning messages but in others like Fedora or Debian, it does not give any such messages. Even in Suse, if I work in text mode exclusively, will it give any error message?

Makarand Hazarika
    NIT Durgapur

nmap

The nmap package is available for most GNU/Linux distributions and BSDs and even Windows. It supports a huge number of techniques to see if there are computers at particular addresses and has a huge number of switches to allow you to select the technique.

For starters though, just run something like this:
    Code:
    nmap 192.168.1.0-255
    But a better way to eliminate IP conflicts is to use either DHCP so they are automatically assigned, or to have one person in charge of assigning numbers.

You may have a DHCP server and not even know it. Try specifying DHCP or clicking the DHCP box wherever you configure your network.

Just Joined!
    The problem in our network is there are no DHCP servers running and the system administrator has not assigned the IP's to all the individual hosts. So we have to assign it on our own. I must say the network setup is inefficient and highly disorganized due to the absence of individual routers in different Departments and hostels.

The whole network including different Departments, hostels, the computer center share the same netmask 255.255.0.0 with network address 192.168.0.0.

So anyone can take any possible IP address within the range 192.168.1-255.1-255 though some of the IP does not seem to work properly. As there are new computers are added to the system, things get even more messed up.

Anyways, thanks for your reply