Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, due to having internet problems I can't exactly do much on the computer yet, so my dad suggested I look into something else with computers, networking being one of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Networking 3 linux based PCs

Ok, due to having internet problems I can't exactly do much on the computer yet, so my dad suggested I look into something else with computers, networking being one of those things. At the moment I have 3 PCs upstairs, (need a few new keyboards and mice) and they are all running linux (maybe I'll need a new harddrive for one of them). I would like to network them all together just to get the hang of networking, transfering files, creating a file server, ftp server etc. on linux and so I can eventually get internet on all three.

So now to the main question, what do I need? All I want to do is connect the 3 PCs together with ethernet cables and beable to access each PC. I was thinking a few cables, a switch and network cards for those PCs without a ethernet connection. But what should work with linux? Or should I go for a modem router now and so I can connect to the internet? The router I like the look of is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1R2GAQKUAMB4Y which is cheap, good make and a router, switch, firewall, modem all in one So is it just as easy as slotting in some network cards, blugging in some cables into them and into the router (or switch) and it should work? It's just that I don't want to pay any money with no knowledge of whether it would work or not.

My linux distors btw are: Dual booting Kubuntu/Ubuntu, FC5 and Kubuntu again.

You just need a cheap hub or switch and get cheapo RTL8139-based network cards, you can also get those from Maplins or PCWorld for less than a tenner each too.

When that's all working, and you want to let the internet talk to the LAN, the way to do it is to pick one of the machines that always stays on and designate it as the firewall/gateway - you bung another network card in this machine which you run to your router, then configure your linux machine to do NAT and firewalling with the IPtables controls.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Would it work if I just got some cards, slotted them in and then directly connected them to the router (all 3 PCs) will I beable to connect to the internet through the router? This would save me having a PC on all the time and meaning I won't have to get a hub/switch.

Linux Guru
    Yep that will work. That's exactly what the router is for I usually have 3-4 devices hooked up to my router. You can get the machines to talk using IP addresses, or set friendly names in /etc/hosts if you use static IPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrail
    Would it work if I just got some cards, slotted them in and then directly connected them to the router (all 3 PCs) will I beable to connect to the internet through the router? This would save me having a PC on all the time and meaning I won't have to get a hub/switch.
    Yes you can do this, but you're handing off your firewalling to the router. This is fine if you have proper configuration controls available, and you know what you're doing.

Personally, I only plug stuff into my router if it has a static IP and a real internet presence (I have two of these devices at the moment), otherwise they're the other side of my Linux-based firewall.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    hmm, well I'm glad it would work if I was to set it up.

You've got a good point about the firewall issue, my real problem though is that the only modem I have is a USB one and so I would like to get one with ethernet connection, I was thinking though that as I can get routers that act as switchs as well I could work on my networking skills...I might just go for the router and some cards for now and then consider making a linux firewall. Unless you could hep me put together different products that I could use.

Thinking about it, would I just need a modem with ethernet, plug that into one PC and then that PC has two network cards, one in on out. I then connect it to a switch and then the other PCs to the switch which then get the internet through the switch, through the PC, through the modem? Would that work? Also I wouldn't know how to set up a linux firewall. I am pretty much new to linux as with no internet, users (but myself) and no network I can't actually play with anything

EDIT: Another query I have is where will I type in the internet information? I have a dial up braodband service which requires me to dial up to connect to the internet. My problem with Linux though is not knowing: 1) Where to type in the user info, like username, password, dial number etc. 2) Connect to the internet. With many people as soon as the PC is turned on they can access the internet where as I have to go to Connect To (on Windows) inorder for me to connect to the internet, so is there anything like this with Linux? (Kubuntu, Ubuntu or Fedora please)