Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've installed ubuntu on Acer aspire 1640z laptop. I need to get my modem working so I can connect to the internet. The modem according to XP is 'HDAUDIO soft ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Acer aspire modem in ubuntu help!

I've installed ubuntu on Acer aspire 1640z laptop.
    I need to get my modem working so I can connect to the internet. The modem according to XP is 'HDAUDIO soft data fax modem with SmartCP', Its some kind of high definition audio modem. Probably what they call a software modem. On my desktop I simply gave my user, password to the network settings and it connected with the ISP. Anyway the modem is not autodetected. So I probably need to get some drivers or something. So what do I do?

An Acer Inspire 164oz Laptop? Blimey, you must have a strong lap - that's over 10lbs of laptop...

You might want to take a look at the Linmodem project they have some support for winmodems in Linux, but be prepared for the worst.

If all else fails, dont forget that if you really must use a modem, you can always buy a cheap external one and plug it into a serial port. These cannot be winmodems, and so have much better support in Linux.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Quote Originally Posted by malikdaud
    I've installed ubuntu on Acer aspire 1640z laptop.

Although, at the end of a hard day, it may seem like it weigh's ten pounds.

As for the question at hand, follow Roxoff's advice - I could not get a driver for my internal modem and ended up buying an external one - it worked like a charm (as much as dial-up can).

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    Does my laptop even have a serial port. I dont think I saw one? I do see a couple of usb slots though.

There are some usb external modems (check to make sure those ones work with Linux though). You could also do what I did - buy a serial one and get a serial to usb cable.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.