Find the answer to your Linux question:
I can't seem to get my ASUS Crosshair's built in ethernet to work consistantly. Ive tweaked bios and done all sorts of stuff, and it works maybe 1/3rd of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NForce Integrated Ethernet

I can't seem to get my ASUS Crosshair's built in ethernet to work consistantly. Ive tweaked bios and done all sorts of stuff, and it works maybe 1/3rd of the time. Some times it works, some times it doesnt. Same for both of the ethernet ports. Even changes between reboots! I replaced the cable and the same result. The wierd part is, when I installed it got internet with no issue
    booted up, and it stopped working. The previous install it didnt work during install, but worked fine during use, till hd corrupted and reinstalled.

The kernel does have the forcedeth module loaded, and unplugging/plugging in the network cables yields the correct link up/down messages.

The exact symptom is just failure to dhcp. Dhclient the interface tries for about 5 mins at apparently random intervals, then fails and exits.

And the wierd part is, it works 100% of the time, guaranteed, in Windows XP (on another hard drive).

I've always found that struggling to get built-in wired 10/100 network cards to work to be just too much hassle. If they dont work for me I just pop down to PCworld or Maplins and buy an RTL8139 compatible network card for less than a ten quid (<$15) and disable the on-board one in the BIOS. It was like that for about 8 months with my main tower PC. It really isn't worth the hassle buggering about with it; the RTL8139 is so ubiquitous, it will work with Linux and Windows XP right out the box with no additional drivers (unless you rebuilt your Linux kernel and compiled out support for it on purpose).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Meh thats what I was thinking. /me steals yet another part from old computer.

Thanks! I know it works with linux, because it worked on my old box which ran only linux =P.