Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am hardly even 24 hours into my first experience with linux. I was running xp on my desktop before but it kept crashing and now the xp disk comes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help w/ using linksys wireless card on SuSE Linux KDE

I am hardly even 24 hours into my first experience with linux. I was running xp on my desktop before but it kept crashing and now the xp disk comes up w/ an error just before its done re-installing. So since i have a brand new lap top coming this week, i decided to take my old out of date desktop and make it my guni pig. I have no programming experience unless HTML would be classified as programming. I can create web pages but thats about it.
    My main goal is to be able to surf the interent on my linux computer. But i cant run an ethernet cord to my room. I have to do wireless. I have a linksys setup. So i was using the WLAN Cards and Linux instructions in the networking section I downloaded ndiswrapper and I just cant seem to get past the code make make install. maybe im typing this wrong. like i said i have no programming experience just little experience with command prompt in windows. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
    Matt~

What errors are you getting? Please copy and paste the exact error (or write it down and retype it). My suspicion is that you don't have the GNU C Compiler installed (gcc). You can install this using SuSE's YaST "Add/Remove Software" program.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    What errors are you getting? Please copy and paste the exact error (or write it down and retype it). My suspicion is that you don't have the GNU C Compiler installed (gcc). You can install this using SuSE's YaST "Add/Remove Software" program.
    when i change to the appropriate directory and type make it comes up w/

bash:make: command not found.

Thanks for not yelling at me for posting in the wrong place. i wasnt sure where to post.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Looks like you also need to install make. You can do so the same way you installed GCC.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Looks like you also need to install make. You can do so the same way you installed GCC.
    all i have done is ran a disk and that installed the whole linux os. do you have any instructions to install make? or where to get it?

Quote Originally Posted by xtrememeasures10
    all i have done is ran a disk and that installed the whole linux os. do you have any instructions to install make? or where to get it?
    As I said two posts above, you must open up the YaST tool in SuSE (find it in your Applications menu, probably under "System"). Then look for "Add/Remove Software" or something similar. You should see a box in the top left where you can type something and do a search. First search for gcc and then for make. A list should pop up on the right side with check boxes next to them. Check the "gcc" and "make" packages and then hit the Install button on the bottom right. Make sure you have the install DVD in the drive when you do this.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    As I said two posts above, you must open up the YaST tool in SuSE (find it in your Applications menu, probably under "System"). Then look for "Add/Remove Software" or something similar. You should see a box in the top left where you can type something and do a search. First search for gcc and then for make. A list should pop up on the right side with check boxes next to them. Check the "gcc" and "make" packages and then hit the Install button on the bottom right. Make sure you have the install DVD in the drive when you do this.
    Ok i didnt know if there were any commands i would have to type. ok so i installed make with no problems. however gcc had issues. I encountered the same issue when installing the OS. its on 3 cds. When it instructs me to insert cd 3 i do so and then a minute or so later it instructs me to do the same thing. its almost like cd 3 has errors or something.