Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a variety of servers on a variety of distros all running NTPd using the same 2 local timeservers to keep their clocks synced. The timeservers work and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

NTP on servers and clocks still drifting apart

I have a variety of servers on a variety of distros all running NTPd using the same 2 local timeservers to keep their clocks synced. The timeservers work and I can manually sync to them via ntpdate, but I have noticed that some of the servers drift when left unattended. They all have the ntpd daemon running the in the background all the time, as verified with ps -ef|grep ntp. The timeservers are always synced to the exact same second whenever I check them.

The only difference that I can see between the servers that keep time and the ones that drift several minutes apart are running as ntp user and others are running as root.

Is it possible that the ntp user doesn't have enough privilege to change the system time to keep it in sync?

Although, I'm not even sure that this is the reason since I don't think that even all the root running ones are perfectly in sync as they should be, although most of those are.

What are your experiences with ntpd?

Any ideas why my ntpd isn't keep the servers synced to the second like it is supposed to?

Thanks

Linux User
    Did you modify the ntp.conf file with your Timeservers? Or did you use GUI?
    Also make sure you servers can ping you timeserver.
    Good Luck,
    Ski
    RHCT

yes all the ntp.conf files point to my two timeservers and only my two timeservers. I edited the conf by hand. no gui. that's for lamerz. My timeservers are always accessible.

Linux User
    If you can ping your timeserver are using the IP Address to ping it or the name?
    Is the ntp.conf file using the IP Address or name?

Also you said the time only varies a few minutes, not hours or days, correct.

I know the questions are stupid but I need to know every stupid detail.

Also did you comment out the fudge andother servers in the ntp.conf when youu inserted your timeserver.
    One last thing did restart the ntpd once you modified the ntp.conf file on each server?
    Good Luck,
    Ski
    RHCT

using name which resolves correctly to the right servers. There is no fudge statement in my ntp.conf. I have restarted ntpd after editing ntp.conf