Find the answer to your Linux question:
Now i find this funny and frustrating...... i have a dns server running and i got NAT (connection sharring) set up in firestarter firewall... however i cannot find that firestarter ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Clueless as to weather the Firewall is running or not....

Now i find this funny and frustrating...... i have a dns server running and i got NAT (connection sharring) set up in firestarter firewall... however i cannot find that firestarter is running at all in the process list, i cant even find it if i 'ps aux | grep firestarter' and the iptables are disabled, however the puters on the lan go online no problem...along with irc chat ect......if i manualy start the firewall then it acts like it might be running twice...the system slows way down and i have connection problems. So how can i find out if the firewall is actualy running or not(it is set to run upon a ppp0 connection but that might not work...a known bug) i have also turned off the auto start of the FW and stopped/started the adsl connection. and tried a killall firestarter but it came back as not running. So i am just clusterf#%cked as to what is going on!

Also i have a http server (apache2)for the time being on one of the puters on the lan that has port 80 forwarded to it but it is not working,or should i say being seen behind the router(linux router)
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux User

firetstarter

firestarter isn't an app its a set of rules that are fed into the kernel or iptables or something.

to check its status you need to run (as root)
    /etc/init.d/firestarter status

if you get loads of stuff back then its running. basically it will start dumping logs to the screen.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Hey i found a easy to check that the fw is running....i just nmapped myself!...lol

The status thing didnt work and i checked the syntax thouroly
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Code:
    iptables -L

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Even running you'll want to run a port and service scan from the outside in. Using either simple web site port scanners like at grc.com or using another PC or latop off you network, can it yourself using nmap or what ever tool you prefer.

Just becasue firewall is up, doesn't mean it's working as you would like it. Trust yet verify.

Dan
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"