Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Hi all ! I have a somewhat peculiar problem: my browser cannot resolve some urls. The prime example (but it's not the only site affected): Google. In the browser (firefox, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3

    Browser does not resolve some urls


    Hi all !

    I have a somewhat peculiar problem: my browser cannot resolve some urls.
    The prime example (but it's not the only site affected): Google.

    In the browser (firefox, konqueror) "www.google.de" does not get resolved.
    In bash "ping www.google.de" returns "ping: unknown host www.google.de"
    BUT in bash "host www.google.de" returns
    "www.google.de is an alias for www.google.com.
    www.google.com is an alias for www.google.akadns.net.
    www.google.akadns.net has address 216.239.59.99
    www.google.akadns.net has address 216.239.59.104"

    If I cut'n'paste one of these addresses into the browser, it displays the site.
    So the problem is not connectivity but address resolution.

    The problem is specific to my linux-box (debian woody r2), the DNS repeater in the DSL router works for the rest of my zoo (MacOS X, Win2K, BeOS)

    Pleasy, does anyone have any idea how to avoid this "manual DNS resolution" ?

  2. #2
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,284
    are the nameservers specified in /etc/resolv.conf the same name servers that are used by the other machines in your network?

    Jason

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3
    Absoluteley. I only have one "nameserver", my router reachable under 192.168.1.1 (Reachable under "myrouter" as well, but that wouldn't really work in that file, would it ?)

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3
    I have found a partial cause and remedy.
    By analysing the firewall logs of the router (unfortunately you can't view passed packets at the same time as dropped packets) I found that for some sites the answer is not send from the router to the client but from the DNS server to the client. Apparently the client on Linux doesn't accept an answer from someone it doesn't know.
    So I added the my ISPs DNS servers to the resolv.conf and now it's working.
    That's not really a solution to why address resolution works from the cli and not from the browser, but know I can at least work with my linux box.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •