Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've been trawling forums for ages looking for the answer to my problem, but haven't been able to find anything that I can understand. Sorry if this is a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

modprobe issues with ndiswrapper - help for newbie please

Hi, I've been trawling forums for ages looking for the answer to my problem, but haven't been able to find anything that I can understand. Sorry if this is a simple question but I really am a newbie and any help (preferably in 'idiot's guide' speak with exactly what I need to type into command lines lol) would be greatfully received!

I've been following the installation guide for ndiswrapper in order to get online with a netgear wg111v2 usb adapter. Got as far as modprobe ndiswrapper but encounter the following error ...

[root@zia ndiswrapper-1.1]# modprobe ndiswrapper
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/misc/ndiswrapper.o: unresolved symbol usb_init
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/misc/ndiswrapper.o: unresolved symbol usb_reset_port
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/misc/ndiswrapper.o: unresolved symbol usb_submit_nt_urb
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/misc/ndiswrapper.o: unresolved symbol usb_exports
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/misc/ndiswrapper.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/misc/ndiswrapper.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/misc/ndiswrapper.o: insmod ndiswrapper failed
    [root@zia ndiswrapper-1.1]# ndiswrapper -l
    Installed ndis drivers:
    net111v2 driver present

Any ideas on what i need to do to get past this point?

I'm running Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS (2.4.21-27.0.2.EL) and have installed ndiswrapper version 1.1 (went for a version from around the time Linux was installed on my computer for me as the latest version would have needed me to update the gcc which I think is a little beyond me)

Thanks in advance,
    Rachel

Re: modprobe issues with ndiswrapper - help for newbie please

Rachel,

when you say, "..have installed ndiswrapper version 1.1 ..", did you build this version
    from source code or install it from some binary package/RPM? Because, there are errors in the compilation of the code:

/lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/misc/ndiswrapper.o: unresolved symbol usb_init
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/misc/ndiswrapper.o: unresolved symbol usb_reset_port
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/misc/ndiswrapper.o: unresolved symbol usb_submit_nt_urb
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/misc/ndiswrapper.o: unresolved symbol usb_exports

and this next line says that the modprobe [insmod] failed because the code was bad:

/lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/misc/ndiswrapper.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/misc/ndiswrapper.o failed

you need to build error-free code or else get another RPM of ndiswrapper. I just built version 1.16 a couple of days ago and it was error-free; go and get that version and rebuild that.

cuervo

Just Joined!
    Cuervo,

thanks a lot for your reply. I've been downloading ndiswrapper from here; http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper to install. I've now tried 3 or 4 different releases up to version 1.15, as after that it starts giving me errors during 'make' about needing to update my gcc. I'm getting exactly the same errors with each version I try. I've updated my kernel to 2.4.21-47.0.1.EL but no change.

Re: modprobe issues with ndiswrapper - help for newbie please

Rachel,

OK, then the code/compile is not the problem. I have not had your problem so I am speculating somewhat. Two other things to check:
    1. what usb modules are loaded? lsmod and see that appropriate (?) usb modules are loaded.
    2. is your kernel compiled with 8K stacks? in order to run a wifi driver with ndiswrapper, you MUST have this setting. If it is a stock kernel, it will not be such; the default kernels have 4K stacks built. If you didn't build one with this setting., then you will have to. The setting is way down in the "kernel hacking" part. Check the kernel .config file for this line:
    # CONFIG_4KSTACKS is not set
    it should appear commented out like this for 8KSTACKS to be enabled. Otherwise, if it looks like this:
    CONFIG_4KSTACKS=yes
    then you need to change it and rebuild the kernel, and boot the new one.

cuervo