Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a home/office network that includes a SUSE 10.1 linux box, an XP desktop, several 2000/XP laptops (all wireless), and a linksys router. The linksys router acts as the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SUSE and Samba Confusion

I have a home/office network that includes a SUSE 10.1 linux box, an XP desktop, several 2000/XP laptops (all wireless), and a linksys router. The linksys router acts as the DHCP server for the Windows machines. The windows machines are all setup by WORKGROUP not domain.

I would like to get Samba up and going and have read many posts and HOWTOs, but I am confused on some things. When performing the setup how does the fact that the linksys is doing DHCP work with Samba. The IP addresses change? I was also told that I should use the linux box as a WINS server, what does this get me? Do I need a domain setup to have the shares be accessed without a password? I do want some shares to be private, but would like not to have to password if I can. I also read that I need to give the IP address of the Windows machines to the linux box, but it is DHCP, so I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The idea of using you SUSE box as a DNS/WINS server is so that your systemscan access each other using hostname. Without this step you will be able to access them with IP adress. If you do use it as a WINS/DNS server you will most likely have to leave it turned on all of the time.

You may find that your router will already allow you to ping other machines by hostname, some routers do this as it is part of the DHCP protocol. As for your question about accessing without a password - yes you would need a domain in that case. You are down to permissions and groups then. You can keep the shares restriceted anyway you want, individual privelages, a couple of groups - it's really up to you. This is sharing using NTLM so the authentication is done in the background.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for responding.

Another question...If I use the Linux box as a WINS server do I have to use static IPs for the laptops?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    No, you dont have to use static IP addresses with WINS, although it helps if your DNS server reports the right IP address correctly for each machine.

Just to put another spin on the password question, I have a question for you. How are you going to restrict access if you dont ask users to authenticate who they are? Sure, you can have users with empty passwords, but doesn't that make it kinda pointless having some files restricted and others not? It doesn't matter whether you've got a domain, workgroup, or are using some other authentication method, the purpose of a password is to allow users to prove they are who they say they are - an that is what is really needed for a secured system.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    That's a good question. Perhaps I have not thought this through. What I want is to have a public share that anyne can access. Then each individual user has their own share. If you login to one of the laptops as user joe the only thing you see is your share /home/joe and /home/public. You have access to both those areas. If you try and map /home/john you would need a password, but in the end you would not gain access anyway. Is that a better explanation?

This is pretty standard fare for Samba. But you are going to need some kind of user logon, either at windows logon time or when you connect to the samba server. I'd recommend getting your users to use windows logons, they'll soon be so used to it they'll forget they even have to do it.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/