Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im not really sure where to post this so I will try here. I have a large file on my linux network (larger than 10 gigs) and I want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

opy a file to more than one computer on linux

Im not really sure where to post this so I will try here.

I have a large file on my linux network (larger than 10 gigs) and I want to copy it to multiple computers (more than 10). Now the computers are set up so they can ssh into each other without passwords so I was thinking I could write a script to scp it to each computer, but that would take a long time. Is there any way that i could do a broadcast scp so that I could copy this file to all the computers at the same time, or any other way to copy the file quickly to all the computers a the same time instead of each one individually.

Thanks

I cant think of a way to do this easily. You could try rsync, if the file changes by small amounts, but is generally the same, that can send just the diffs.

It also sounds like a job suited to peer-to-peer file sharing types of software, once the file is copied to another machine, you have two copies to copy from, etc.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    I cant think of a way to do this easily. You could try rsync, if the file changes by small amounts, but is generally the same, that can send just the diffs.

It also sounds like a job suited to peer-to-peer file sharing types of software, once the file is copied to another machine, you have two copies to copy from, etc.
    Ya but the problem is that well the computers arnt on the internet

rsync works over IP - they must be connected by a network of some kind, whether its the internet or a private lan.

I didn't say peer-to-peer would be easy, but it just sounds to me like the kind of solution that would help. I dont know how to set such a system up, but it might justify looking into.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    rsync works over IP - they must be connected by a network of some kind, whether its the internet or a private lan.

I didn't say peer-to-peer would be easy, but it just sounds to me like the kind of solution that would help. I dont know how to set such a system up, but it might justify looking into.
    they are all on a local lan. but will I really get better speeds with rsync than a wget (as I understand rsync is for updating but since there is no database on the computers to start there is nothing to update?)

I am looking into p2p and trying to get a benchmark with my computer that is connected to the Internet