Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi every one just got my downloads of Fedora and installed on a computer i have dedicated to Linux, everything works fine, however the ethernetcard gave me some trouble till ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

fedora newbie and DSL on sis 900...help!!!

Hi every one just got my downloads of Fedora and installed on a computer i have dedicated to Linux, everything works fine, however the ethernetcard gave me some trouble till i figured out how to activate it and now i still cannot get on the web. any advise ???

Just Joined!
    It sounds good so far.... but you have not made any mention of how your computer connects to this DSL connection. If you machine is directly connected to the DSL modem you will need a PPPoE client... I use Roaring Pengiun (http://www.roaringpenguin.com). If your machine is connect to a router that creates the connection you either need to configure dhcp or determine which IP addresses can be statically assigned to machines.

Richard

Just Joined!
    Sorry about that, I am using a router and i have tried to get a static IP from the router, no luck. I have also tried to assign a Ip to it but again no luck I know the Eth link worked before I did the install as I had...ack...hack...Windows...ugh bad taste in mouth...installed and it sailed fine.

I have been playing around with it this morning and have used the internet connection wizard to try to set it up both using pppo and dhcp and even assigning a free ip address no luck at all Fedora sees the Ethernet port and it test ok in start up and when it is set as eth0 it will activate, yet when I try to ping other comps or the web i get a reply that there is no address like that.

I am not the most computer savy person around and I hope that I can find a way around this, if I can get Fedora up and running on this comp then I will try the others as I am tired of Windows. So far I love it all except for the internet connections.

I do hope you can help me get around this mental block the computer has set before me or at least whittle away at it till I have a pile of wood dust to form into whatI want. Thanks in advance.

The Squirrel

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I use a SIS 900 ethernet card (onboard) I assume u have setup the default gateway to the ip of the router? Usually 192.168.0.1
    After i'd done that i needed to setup DNS servers (should be given to u when u registered for broadband)

If u have done both these, it should work.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    This is interesting, I have been sucessful in accessing another computer on the home network and viewed shared files, yet I still cannot access the web....what is the problem...???

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    I use a SIS 900 ethernet card (onboard) I assume u have setup the default gateway to the ip of the router? Usually 192.168.0.1
    After i'd done that i needed to setup DNS servers (should be given to u when u registered for broadband)

I as stated before am not the most computer savy person around, so please forgive my ignorance of DNS protocol( ie what is it and how does it work) Do i need to put in there the Http:// address to my ISP and then my password or what...I feel I am getting closer....Thanks

Squirrel

Just Joined!
    Your ISP should assist with connecting the router....

You mentioned you connected to the router and used the wizard... the IP address was mostlikely:

or
    or
    something like that.......

You will have to research which IP addresses can be statically assigned.. I'm gonna say 192.168.0.2 - 100 and 192.168.0.101 up are reserved for dhcp.

Login to your linux box and assign your nic an ip

# Notice only the last group of numbers are changing. This is important
    /sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.50

# Add a gateway .. this is the router's IP address
    /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.0.1

Now try pinging the router
    ping 192.168.0.1

Try tracing an IP address... this is safer then ping since most firewalls drop icmp

traceroute 213.253.1.176

If the trace leaves your router to the next... you are online.

Richard

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys for all your help , unfortunately I still can't get to the Web. Ihave been sucessful in getting into another comp on the inhome net but not outside the net. My set up is like this:

DSL
    \....DSL Modem
    \..Router
    \\\\.......Comp 1
    \\\..........Comp 2
    \\..........Comp 3
    \...........Comp 4

I dont have a Comp acting as a server my hopes is to set up this Linux box as the server firewall so the rest can operate safely behind it. So right now I just want to get to the web, if I can do this then I will proceed to the next step which will be to install another ethernet card in this box and use it between the modem and the router.

So now we come back to my problem, again I am not the most savy person on comps and I don't even know how to access a shell to try a bash command, I think I understand some of what you are saying about "nic" and I found a traceroute program in the Gnome area clicking on the redhat in lower left corner, yet it just has one address in there as 127.0.0.1 it will not accept any other address I type.

So I know I am virtually asking you guys to lead me by the hand here ,but how do I ping address, how di I shell out of the Gnome , How do I traceroute an address...How do I do anything but play games and use the Nice Wordprocessor programs and Spreadsheets included with this OS (BTW I am Impressed so far with everything and kick myself for not trying to ge windows free sooner)

Just Joined!
    OK, I found the shell but it wont let me ping anythinsg or traceroute anything and it runs inside Gnome like the windows version does...I think I am going to like this if I don't bust a gasket trying to get to the web...lol

I try the /sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.4 which is the ip address i set up for my box here and it returns "SIOCSIFADDR: Permission denied" and "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied" and with the traceroute 213.253.1.176 it returns "socket: Network is unreachable", I tried to set the gw with /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.1.1 it returns " SIOCADDRT: Operation not permitted"

I guess I am back to square one again.../sigh.../I don't know what I'm doing But I'm having fun

Can you ping an internet ip like: 216.239.59.104?

If this works, u need to setup DNS. Basically ALL websites are stored on an IP addy, and when u type something like www.google.com ur pc looks to the dns server to get the ip for the addy www.google.com

try this as ur DNS server. 199.166.29.3

If that works u will need to get a DNS server off ur ISP, should b able to find it out from ur ISP

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsquirrel
    Quote Originally Posted by sdousley

I as stated before am not the most computer savy person around, so please forgive my ignorance of DNS protocol( ie what is it and how does it work) Do i need to put in there the Http:// address to my ISP and then my password or what...I feel I am getting closer....Thanks

Squirrel
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast