Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to set up a small Linux box between my Cable Modem and Router so that 2 or more computers on my network can use the same ports at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Linux Firewall/DHCP or something like it

I want to set up a small Linux box between my Cable Modem and Router so that 2 or more computers on my network can use the same ports at the same time to allow us to play certain internet games at the same time instead of one at a time.

Witch brings me to my question,

First, what distro would you recommend? I currently use Fedora Core 5 and 6, Xandros 3 and 4, Gentoo 2006.1, and Debian so if any of those would work thatís what I would prefer.

Second, what will I need in system requirements?

I have a few systems set up already, I just need to format and install an OS:

486SX 25Mhz, 4mb ram no HD, no CD, 10 LAN and a floppy drive

Dual P3 450Mhz, 488Mb ram 24 x IDE CD, 2 x 9 GB SCSI HD, and Floppy drive. 10/100 LAN. (HP Server)

Celeron 1.7 GHz, 384Mb ram, 32mb graphics 13Mb HD, 52x CD, 10/100 LAN, floppy and sound.

I can build a system any where in between those 3 systems

I know I will need 2 LAN cards (one to modem and one to router) sound doesnít matter, I would prefer to set it up on a Console Log-in so I donít need a monitor/keyboard/mouse. I donít need to have it act as a firewall as each computer is protected in some way or another.

With all that said, what should I do and what options do I have?
    if this is in the wrong forum I'm sorry but it seems best fit here.

Thank you very much.

Just Joined!
    Bump

Come on, cant some one help me?

please.

Options

Now this is the right forum for all sought of questions so feel welcome. Two you can use whatever distro u feel comfortable with and i would personally recommend Red hat if you are new to linux. Then you need to configure your router appropriately for the network to become functional. You have not mentioned whethre this is a home network or it is an office network so i wont go into the details about security.
    Your hardware requirements are ok and so go ahead an implement your network.

Just Joined!
    I've looked into Red hat; I think I have a copy of Red Hat 9 some where.
    It’s a home network, currently I have 2 wired computers (one of witch is a server) and 5 Wireless. I don’t really need to worry about security on the server itself; its not going to store any important information and each computer should have its own firewall/anti virus and all that kinda stuff.

what I'm currently using as a server is a P2 450, 384Mb ram, 20gb HD, 8Mb graphics, 52x and 48x CD, Floppy and 3x 3Com 10/100 Ethernet cards.

Update: instead of having one router I’m needed to use 2, one can’t be connected directly to the other. The routers I’m using are a D-Link WBR-2310 RANGEBOOSTER G and a Dell True mobile 2300. Both 4 port wired and wireless.