Hello everyone,

I've got a bit of a rambling question, but I'll try to keep it short.

I've been dabbling with creating a bootp server for my company network. I want the clients to boot a stripped down Linux GUI with only a few programs loaded (telnet, internet browser and an remote desktop viewer is all).

I've been trying to use Fedora as the bootp server, and am having no end of trouble with updating it. Yum works, yumex does not work and pirut only works from the command line. This is not acceptable. I know there's a lot of people out there who have had this problem, and who have posted solutions. However I am losing patience with Fedora (See the PS below)

Can anyone suggest a distro that has better networking controls and can serve as a bootp server? Our proxy server here at works needs password authentication, so it needs to be able to handle that as well (opening pirut from the gnome menu, it looks as if it sees the proxy server but can't authenticate).

Thanks for your help

Scoldog

PS: What is the &$@&& point of having a Network Proxy preference if Yum, Yumex and Pirut don't listen to it. I also have to set my internet browser proxy up separately. Which programs actually look at the Network Proxy preference?

I'm mainly from a Windows background. I primarily maintain our terminal servers (Windows 2003 based). Rather than have an OS on each client (not managed in any way ATM) I've been looking at network booting all clients so the users only have to open the RDP program and connect to the terminal servers.

If I'm going about this the wrong way, please feel free to tell me why and give me suggestions on better ways of doing it. I use Fedora at home (direct connection to the net, hell of a lot easier to update) so I am not a total linux noob.