Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear All, I want to access the windows desktop through the LAN and for that I have install the samba 3.0.23, but what are the settings requires after the installation ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Settings required for Samba to access the windows desktop from LAN

Dear All,

I want to access the windows desktop through the LAN and for that I have install the samba 3.0.23, but what are the settings requires after the installation to access the LAN? please help me to know this.

Else pls tell me the method to getting the connection of windows desktop.

Thanks,
    Nishant

Just Joined!
    Hi, here is very simple basic samba configuration file, try it and ask if you will have some questions. Thank You

#======================= Global Settings =====================================
    [global]
    workgroup = your_workgroup
    server string = Samba Server
    client code page = 852
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    load printers = no
    printing = cups
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 100
    encrypt passwords = yes
    null passwords = yes
    dns proxy = no
    share modes = yes
    map to guest = Bad User
    security = users
    #============================ Share Definitions ==============================
    [direcotry]
    path = /directory
    public = True
    only guest = False
    writable = True
    printable = no
    directory mask = 0777
    create mask = 0777

Just Joined!
    Dear Sir,

What will be the directory path... which directory path i should specify in that?

Will the work group be same as domain?

Client page code will be default 852, or it will be defdined as per the netwoork?

Thanks,
    Nishant

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fandar
    Hi, here is very simple basic samba configuration file, try it and ask if you will have some questions. Thank You
    Dear sir,

Inspite of all this configurations, i am not able to access the domain... and it is giving me an error that,

"Couldn't display "smb:///", because no host "(null)" could be found. Check that the spelling is correct and that your proxy settings are correct."

My domain name is right, that i have alrady check but dont know about the proxy settings, where to do the proxy settings?

Thanks,
    Nishant

Lightbulb

Hi...
    well i use the smb://<IP address> command in nautilus to access windows machines on my LAN....
    if that does not work then specify

smb://<IP Address>/<Folder name of share>

example:

smb://<172.16.78.100/songs

it shd work...
    it shd ask you for the authorization dailog which requires username and passwd of the connecting machine...

hope this is of help.....
    by the way do u use a proxy to access you LAN??
    u need to also configure your Nework Config (in GNOME its under Sytsem>Adminitration>Network)....put in your DNS..if not already detected...

lemme kno how it goes..
    all the best!!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by prateek_darkangel
    Hi...
    well i use the smb://<IP address> command in nautilus to access windows machines on my LAN....
    if that does not work then specify

smb://<IP Address>/<Folder name of share>

example:

smb://<172.16.78.100/songs

it shd work...
    it shd ask you for the authorization dailog which requires username and passwd of the connecting machine...

hope this is of help.....
    by the way do u use a proxy to access you LAN??
    u need to also configure your Nework Config (in GNOME its under Sytsem>Adminitration>Network)....put in your DNS..if not already detected...

lemme kno how it goes..
    all the best!!
    Hiii, Prateek

Thanks man, Thanks very much, I was trying to access the local net frm past 3 mnths, n wasnt successful, but u ve made it fr me in 5 mins, n its so simple.

But wen i upgrade my kernel to 2.6, i was not able to access the ethernet card even, do u know any way to configure it too access the local domain atleast?

Thanks,
    Nishant

Thumbs up Glad to be of help...

hi Nishant....

well could u lemme kno the ehternet card sepcification..manufacturer n stuff...???
    is ur network manager not being able to detect it or u just can config it..??
    generally 2.6 detects most cards...so shd not be a provlem...what distribution are u on???

tcare...

Just Joined!
    hi Nishant....

well could u lemme kno the ehternet card sepcification..manufacturer n stuff...???
    is ur network manager not being able to detect it or u just can config it..??
    generally 2.6 detects most cards...so shd not be a provlem...what distribution are u on???

tcare...
    Hiii, Pratik

Actually dn know much abt the ethernet card (manu etc.), but the main thing i noticed is that, it shows the entry in the "Network Device control" window as eth0 and it is not active, now when I am trying to activate it, it does not activating the card and just gives the error that "Cannot activate network device eth0".

I think this error is related to the entry of the ethernet card in some file, i dont know file exactly though. Do you know anything about that?

My Distro is RH9.

Thanks,
    Nishant

Lightbulb

hi Nishant...

Not very sure what the problem can be...
    however why don't you try to edit the parameters pf the device..
    that it..it ur network manager window...selsct the eth0 and click on edit present in the toolbars...see the hardware tab in the new window that opens up...does it recognze the card??? if it does..it will give you the name of ur card and mac addresses . etc...

the problem that u must be facing is non detection...however..try these steps to check it out..n lemme kno..i'll see what i can do ..... (b.t.w are u on a laptop?)

tcare

Just Joined!
    hi Nishant...

Not very sure what the problem can be...
    however why don't you try to edit the parameters pf the device..
    that it..it ur network manager window...selsct the eth0 and click on edit present in the toolbars...see the hardware tab in the new window that opens up...does it recognze the card??? if it does..it will give you the name of ur card and mac addresses . etc...

the problem that u must be facing is non detection...however..try these steps to check it out..n lemme kno..i'll see what i can do ..... (b.t.w are u on a laptop?)

tcare
    Hiii,

Actually the card is detected and even i can ste the IP and DNS and other all things are alright, cos if i couldnt able to see the card then i couldnt set the IP and all othr paras... but i think some file is missing in that to activate the card.

There is only option left in the window is to activate the device...but when i m tryin to do so... i m not able to... it just gives me warning that it couldnt activate...no othr error msgs.

But u still try 2 find it...if u get smthin told me.

Thanks,
    Nishant