Find the answer to your Linux question:
eth0 (realtek 8139 using the given 8139too module) is connected to the cable modem using DHCP (which works fine) the internet works (which im now using on the machine to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

network running two network cards in redhat 9

eth0 (realtek 8139 using the given 8139too module) is connected to the cable modem using DHCP (which works fine)
    the internet works (which im now using on the machine to post)

when eth1 (netgear ea201) is activated with static:
    ip 192.168.0.1
    subnet 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.0.1

the internet no longer continues working, but now i can ping the internal network

in order to get the internet to work again, i have to deactivate both cards, and then activate eth0 again

it is not supposed to do this, correct? i should be able to have both the internet working and be able to ping the internal network simultaneously

it seems as if eth1 perhaps overrides eth0, not good

all network configuration has taken place with the gnome tool in redhat... (also accessible
    by /usr/bin/neat)

any ideas? thanks in advance

Linux Guru
    it looks like your routing table may be screwing up when you activate the second card.

Can you paste the output of
    Code:
    /sbin/route  -ve
    after you've activated the second card?

Jason

Just Joined!
    yea that's what the problem was - im sorry i didn't update this thread after i received help from caveman in #linuxforum on irc.freenode.net

after the second card is activated, the gateway becomes the gateway of the internal network

simply changing the default gateway back to the gateway of the external ip fixes this

i forget the complete command... im sure you can find it in the man pages for route:

route add gw (blah blah)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close