Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have a belkin wireless card , the f5d6020u (ver.s) with the atmel chip set, and i have it running just fine with the drivers from linux-wlan and my only ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    hex
    Just Joined!

my wireless card and its atmel chipset

i have a belkin wireless card , the f5d6020u (ver.s) with the atmel chip set, and i have it running just fine with the drivers from linux-wlan and my only problem is the lack of wireless ap scanners that will work with this card. i was wondering if any one knows where i can find some programs for this. i have spent the past few days searching. i am using the pcmf502rd driver for this card, but it also works just fine with the pcmf502re driver as well, so i need a scanner that will work with either of those drivers for that seems to be the real problem. if any one has any suggestions, they would be appricated, or if any one has this chipset and a prog that works with it that would be even better thanks. by the way im using Redhat 8.0 with kernal 2.4.18-14.
    thanks

flw
    Linux Engineer
    You have two isssues. One using linux and wireless is seems to cause many users much frustration. You got your chipset to work in linux and should be very happy with that. Without the other chipsets that a linux specific app req.'s your out of luck. They are very chipset and OS specific.

You also have no option to use Windows sniffer apps because your in linux. Even then the only sniffer app that work with most chipsets (BOINGO) is good for general info but they are not a "netstumber" type of tool, which requireds a specific chipset(s).

I wish I had better news for you but as I understand it, if your chipset is not supported in many wireless sniffer apps, I would not expect anything more from your hardware without changing wifi cards and your linux setup for it.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

hex
    Just Joined!

what card would you recommend

i have been looking at intersil cards with the prism2 chipset, but from what i undersatnd i would have to flash the card and upgrade to version 0.8.3 (i think thats right) because most cards are not made with this firmware version whichg provides promiscuis mode and such, but the software to upgrade the card is only written for windows and you have to have the card completely installed to do this. maybe this info was out of date, im looking it up from school, and dont have much time. do you know of a good brand of wireless card that carries a prism2 chipset?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    flw
    Linux Engineer
    The following link lists mfg by model by IEEE standard and by chipset for linux. Its last update is Feb. 2, 2004. I cannot verify its accuracy.

See http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

Please come and let us know how things went and the if the list worked out well for you or not.

Dan
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

hex
    Just Joined!

thanks

thankive stumbled upon this list before and never really looked it over to well, but now i understand what its talking about
    im going to focus on the linksys and netgear cards, as they are the ones avlible to me at circuit city. i'll let you know how this all works out if i ever get my hands on enough money for a new card, hehe. thanks.