Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I'm looking into the possibility off creating a TFTP server for my company. I've been looking at the web, and most of the DIY TFTP sites explain how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can a TFTP image do the following?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking into the possibility off creating a TFTP server for my company. I've been looking at the web, and most of the DIY TFTP sites explain how to install a Linux distro over a network. I don't want to do this.

What I want my image to do is to have an internet browser, telnet client and a Remote Desktop client. So, here are my questions:

1> Can a tftp image perform these tasks? If it can be done, can anyone point me in the direction of a website that explains how to create an image (or download a prebuilt one)

2> Can the browser, telnet client and RDP client be preconfigured with my company settings (proxy server, terminal server client address etc)

3> Can anyone recommend a decent telnet client that can be used, and possibly a different RDP client than the standard linux one? I personally use Krdp on my computers, much more easier than the standard one.

Linux Newbie
    tftp is similar to ftp, it serves up files
    so you kind of lost me about the image and all that stuff

Just Joined!

I think the proper term is PXE

Hi deanlinkous,

I'm pretty sure the term I was looking for was PXE booting. From what I understand, you set a server up with TFTP capabilities and copy an file which has the boot instructions (AKA boot image) onto this server.

The remote computer will look for a PXE boot server on startup, see this boot image and use the instructions contained in this file to boot.

The problem I am facing is, all the boot images I can find are only used for network installations. I want a stripped down OS with the specifications I mentioned previously.

Yes a TFTP Image can do that

Quote Originally Posted by scolman
    Hello everyone,

I'm looking into the possibility off creating a TFTP server for my company. I've been looking at the web, and most of the DIY TFTP sites explain how to install a Linux distro over a network. I don't want to do this.

What I want my image to do is to have an internet browser, telnet client and a Remote Desktop client. So, here are my questions:

1> Can a tftp image perform these tasks? If it can be done, can anyone point me in the direction of a website that explains how to create an image (or download a prebuilt one)

2> Can the browser, telnet client and RDP client be preconfigured with my company settings (proxy server, terminal server client address etc)

3> Can anyone recommend a decent telnet client that can be used, and possibly a different RDP client than the standard linux one? I personally use Krdp on my computers, much more easier than the standard one.
    The method you are looking for is being widely used in Production Environments and on Assembly lines all over the World. The answer is Yes a TFTP image can do exactly that.
    Have a look through http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_...ords=TFTP+Boot
    and at applications such as
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/cnode/
    I have designed several of these systems and environments and this method is OLDER than you think it is. It was more less refered to as Dumb Terminals back in the day. Not to show my age or anything. I hope this helps.