Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been working on this for a while now and finally got the kernel module for the driver to compile. I'm a linux newbie but forgive me if I'm wrong, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ADM8211 driver on Mandrake 10 (Wireless)

I've been working on this for a while now and finally got the kernel module for the driver to compile. I'm a linux newbie but forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't I need to get the kernel to load the module, then the Mandrake Control Center to recognize it as a network driver? I don't know how to do that, even IF that's what you do.

the README says to
    #insmod 8211.ko (the created module)
    then restart the computer, start the network if required, then configure using "iwconfig" from the wireless-tools package.

The insmod works, so I restart the computer, but iwconfig doesn't recognize my eth0 device, so I start my network ("/etc/rc.d/init.d/start network" or somthing), and it goes fine untill it tries to start eth0, and fails.

So, I've come to the conclusion that I need to assign this driver to my device in the Mandrake Control Panel, so that "start network" will recognize eth0, but I don't know how to get it to be recognized.

Sorry if this is hard to understand... I'm not good at explaining things.

Linux Guru
    should shouldnt need to restart after "insmod" 'ing the driver, this may not allow the driver to be loaded again on boot up. Try finishing the process without restarting your PC.

Jason

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply, but...

MCC still doesn't recognize it, and the network initialization still fails when it tries to start eth0.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close