Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I hope I chose the correct category... I'm trying to set up my Linux box as an answering machine. It uses vgetty for that and when receiving a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mutt crashes (Segmentation Fault) when called by vgetty

Hello everyone,

I hope I chose the correct category...

I'm trying to set up my Linux box as an answering machine. It uses vgetty for that and when receiving a new message, it calls the script shell message.sh I wrote which is using Mutt to send me an e-mail alerting me of the new message. The e-mail contains a link to where I can hear the message.

Mutt uses esmtp to send e-mail. I lost patience when trying to set up postfix and sendmail to use my ISP's outgoing mail server to send mail and frankly I still don't know the differences between those.

When I call message.sh from the command line, everything goes well. But when vgetty calls message.sh, Mutt crashes and do a "Segmentation fault", hence not sending the e-mail.

The shell script (with some variable values removed) can be seen at <http://eremi.net/message.txt>.

Any ideas to make it work?

Thanks in advance!

Linux Guru
    if Mutt is segfaulting, there is a problem with the code of Mutt itself, and should be raised with the developers.

Do you have a core dump from when Mutt crashed?

Jason