Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi My ISP is delivering internet via the wireless network, therefore I can't use my old router for internet sharing. I have two computers, my laptop with a wlan card ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    ekj
    Just Joined!

internet sharing problems

Hi

My ISP is delivering internet via the wireless network, therefore I can't use my old router for internet sharing. I have two computers, my laptop with a wlan card and my stationary computer with NO wlan card. Internet is working fine on my laptop, but I would prefer to be using my stationary computer...

Before I explain my settings I think I should show you how I connected all the things, so that you'll see what the h*** I'm talking about...

internet > . . . . . < wlan0 | laptop | eth0 >----------------< wan | router | lan >--------------< eth0 | stationary

Now, this is what I did in my attempt to get internet sharing to work:

Settings on the laptop (which is running suse 9.2):

* in the firewall settings I specified my wlan0 card to be the external card, my eth0 to be the internal card, then I enabled the "Forward Traffic and Do Masquerading" checkbox.
    * I reconfigured eth0 to have a static ip address (192.168.0.3)

Settings on the router:

* changed the wan ip address of the router to static (192.168.0.2)
    * changed the gateway ip address to the address of the eth0 at the laptop (192.168.0.3)
    * changed the dns ip address to the address supplied by my isp
    * using default router ip address (192.168.0.1) for the lan ports of the router

And the settings on the stationary is simply to use the gateway address 192.168.0.1

I also tried to have both the laptop and the stationary connected to the lan ports of the router, like this:

internet > . . . . . < wlan0 | laptop | eth0 >----------------< lan2 | router | lan1 >--------------< eth0 | stationary

The differences in settings were:

laptop: no changes
    router: no changes
    stationary:
    * gateway = 192.168.0.3
    * DNS = ISP's dns

Pinging my laptop from my stationary is no problem in any of the setups, but I don't get any internet to the stationary

Any suggestions on why it doesn't work?

ekj
    Just Joined!
    So, is there really noone that knows how to set up internet sharing???

If something in my text is unclear, please tell me and I will explain what I meant.

Just Joined!
    it looks pretty clear ...

first: you have to configure manually dns for the router.
    second: you must change the router's lan ip to 192.168.1.1 and
    third: for the stationary, if not dhcp from the router, than must have ip 192.168.1.x(x= 2 to 254), netmask:255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1,
    and dns manually configured