Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have problem with mounting the window share directory using CIFS system. I am doing an embedded linux project, compile everything from scratch. now i supposed to mount ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

error mounting CIFS: missing UNC name for mount support

Hi all,

I have problem with mounting the window share directory using CIFS system. I am doing an embedded linux project, compile everything from scratch. now i supposed to mount a window directory from another computer in the net for putting logging files.

i am using the kernel 2.4.32 patched with the CIFS fs support. I also installed the mount.cifs from samba 3.0.23d package. it works when i do:
    Code:
    mount.cifs //192.168.1.5/Documents /mnt/winshare
    but i have problem using normal mount command
    Code:
    mount -t cifs //192.168.1.5/Documents /mnt/winshare
    CIFS: Missing UNC name for mount target
    mount: Mounting //192.168.1.5/Documents on /mnt/winshare failed: Invalid argument
    the reason i want to use the normal mount command is that, i want to mount the windows directory during the embedded system startup. if i use the mount.cifs, i have to put the root password everytime i want to do mount.

how can i solve the problem?

thanks,

Just Joined!
    CIFS didn't work hardly at all in SuSE 10.0, but when I upgraded to SuSE 10.2 it started working. I think they both use kernel 2.6+. In SuSE 10.0 what I had to end up doing was smbfs instead of cifs. (when I upgraded to SuSE 10.2 it broke smbfs so I HAD to revisit CIFS and found out it worked). I could show you some /etc/fstab if you need it.