Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, everyone. I have searched internet up and down trying to find the answers to this problem. I have successfully installed Belkin F5D7050 USB wireless adapter with Debian 2.6.8-3-686 with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    lhm
    Just Joined!

WPA Supplicant help needed please

Hello, everyone.

I have searched internet up and down trying to find the answers to this problem. I have successfully installed Belkin F5D7050 USB wireless adapter with Debian 2.6.8-3-686 with the help of some very clever people on this forum. I hope one day I will be able to answer questions here, not ask them! But, anyway, it was working fine with WEP encryption. Now it's getting the WPA-PSK (TKIP) to work, which is holding me back.

I instlled wpa_supplicant. Here is the contents of my /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf:
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    ctrl_interface_group=0
    eapol_version=1
    ap_scan=1
    fast_reauth=1

network={
    ssid="Ssid"
    photo=WPA
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    pairwise=TKIP
    group=TKIP
    psk="the secret key"
    }

With this config,
    wpa_supplicant -D -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -ieth0 -Dwext
    returns
    Line 11: unknown network field 'photo'.
    Line 16: failed to parse network block.
    Failed to read configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'.

Could someone please help me if they know what I am doing wrong? Thank you.

Personally I've never been able to get Sarge's version of wpasupplicant to work. That doesn't mean it is impossible, it just means that I wasn't patient enough to get it working.

wpasupplicant works right away in Etch or Sid, but my guess is the wpasupplicant version in Sarge is just too old.

If it's not too much trouble for you, I would recommend using Debian Etch (the new upcoming release, which should be out in about a month).
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

'photo' isn't a valid declaration inside the wpa_supplicant config file. If you remove it, this should be enough to work... although you may suffer the same problems that antidrugue has with Debian and wpa_supplicant.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close