Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was hoping that someone would be able to give me some input on this. Here's my problem, I am currently connected via a USB cable. For some reason I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ethernet connection problems

I was hoping that someone would be able to give me some input on this. Here's my problem, I am currently connected via a USB cable. For some reason I'm unable to connect my computer to the internet via an ethernet cable. Actually when i first got service with my ISP i was able to connect using the ethernet cable. After about a day I was unable to connect with my ISP. After calling tech support it turned out my modem's mac address had not been registered on the network. After resolving that issue I was still unable to connect with the ethernet cable. Tech support walked me through numerous things to troubleshoot but nothing helped. Finally I was told to try connecting using a USB . With the USB I was able to connect with Windows but when I can't connect when using linux (fedora5). If this helps I have set up dual OS on my computer using 2 separate hard drives. Is this a hardware, software, or ISP problem? Is it possible to connect linux to the internet using a USB cable. Any help would be most appreciated.

Linux Enthusiast
    We will need a few technical details about your Internet connection. What kind of connection is it and what model of modem are you using?

It might also help if you can tell us who your ISP is and what distribution you are using.

I'd also like to get some details about what as and hasn't been set up so far.

Connect your computer to the ethernet connection and boot into Linux. Then run the following commands as root:

Code:
    iwconfig
    ifconfig -a
    route -n
    ping www.google.com
    Copy the output of these commands and post them here (remember to mangle the last part of the ip addresses if they are public ones).

The first command will display the wireless information for all of your network cards. The second will show the network settings for all your cards. The third command with show the routing table and the last is a ping command which can provide us with useful error messages.

Once we have this we should be able to help you out more.

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

also in windows from a comand line do ipconfig/all so that we can contrast and compare with your linux output.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close