Find the answer to your Linux question:
Have any of you who live in the UK managed to get Blueyonder Broadband working on SuSE? Or do you know anyone who has? I'm thinking of getting broadband (connected ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Broadband on Linux

Have any of you who live in the UK managed to get Blueyonder Broadband working on SuSE? Or do you know anyone who has? I'm thinking of getting broadband (connected through an ethernet card) but am not sure if it will work through Linux.

Is it possible? Is it easy to setup? Any advise would be appreciated. thanks
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Linux User

answer

Any broadband that connects through ethernet will work on linux. Sometimes its complicated to get online the first time - often best to borrow a windows box. But once you've signed up everything just works with DHCP.

if unsure order the package. then see what modem comes with it. if its a usb one then order a decent adsl router (www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk).
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Thanks, will most USB broadband modems work with linux? I only ask because I know that linux has problems with USB modems
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User

No

In a word - No. Some do some don't. fortunately most are based on a few chipsets. although you usually need a screwdriver to find out what chipset is being used.

I've heard good stories about the alcatel one that BT were using. I had an Intel something or other that wasn't supported. I bought a router that plugged into my usb modem. That was a nice bit of kit. a Draytek Vigor 2200 USB.

Find out what modem their supplying and have google.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.