Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I was wondering, Is anyone familiar with SMB and NFS? I have a mixed OS environment (Mac, Linux, Windows, BSD and Solaris) I know that all of these ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Filesharing in a mixed OS environment

Hello everyone,
    I was wondering,
    Is anyone familiar with SMB and NFS? I have a mixed OS environment (Mac, Linux, Windows, BSD and Solaris) I know that all of these OSes support SMB and NFS, so I was wondering, what is it better to do, install NFS on windows, or mess with SMB on the unix like oses?
    Thanks in advance,
    Michael

I think you'll find, simply from trying all different combinations, that setting up Samba is the easiest, and most secure way of sharing files between different OS'es. This tutorial may be of help, although it is Debian specific.

Just Joined!
    Samba is very much the easiest way to go. Been a while since I've seen an environment that mixed. We used Samba there with great success. In fact a number of Linux admins today eschew NFS completely in favor of Samba. Though NFS is very easy to set up between Nix OS's. The tools to use NFS shares from windoze are not very good. A Samba share works great with them.

Printing is going to be your biggest hassle. I'd suggest using IP printers, failing that use Linux boxes as the print servers. Easier to get a windoze machine to browse a Linux print share than vice versa. Linux doesn't flood your network with print announcements either.