My father's computer has kind of a peculiar problem and I need some help. He's had Verizon DSL for a few years now, uses a Westell 2200 modem/router and runs OpenSUSE 10.2.

Ever since I installed Linux on his computer (a few years back), he's had a problem with connectivity to the internet. What happens is when he boots up the computer and logs in to KDE, he has no internet connectivity at all. He has to wait approximately 10 minutes for the modem to wake up. After about 10 minutes of waiting, his internet connection will finally be available to him.

I set up his computer to dual boot Windows XP & SUSE. If he cold boots into Windows, he has immediate access to the internet. If he then reboots (soft boot) his computer into SUSE, the internet access is up and running immediately. But, if he cold boots into SUSE, then he has to wait the 10 minutes or so for the internet to come up.

I'm wondering if anyone could shed some light on this situation for me. I just can't figure out why this is happening. Is there a setting in SUSE that I've missed? Why doesn't he have this problem when booting into Windows?

Any help resolving this problem would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!