Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking for a list of current wifi mfg's that directly support linux, directly out of the box. Not that they should or might work or even download a driver ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    flw
    Linux Engineer

need of wireless linux cards direct from the box

I'm looking for a list of current wifi mfg's that directly support linux, directly out of the box. Not that they should or might work or even download a driver and maybe or wrapper for the driver, just out of the box wifi adapter you put it in and run the linux hardware with the software that comes with it.

Does such a thing really exist? Even if the list is a single mfg that would help.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux User

flw
    Linux Engineer
    After reading the url is reaffirms my experience that there are between few and no mfg that offer direct up from support for wifi adapters.

Yes some work and some don't as if by magic. There is no clear path for wifi users to take, so when they spend there money they can worry about surfing and not compiling drv wrappers or odd and unpublishized ways to get the device to work.

The wifi mfg's just seem to all but totally ignore linux.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux User
    Absolutely, forget trying to use the internal wifi card that a lot of laptops have in them by default, at least for now. But I should note that for $20 you could by some software to get them working.

But on a positive note, at the first of the year at the LinuxWorld Conference, Intel said that they do have plans to release Linux drivers for the Centrino chipset in the near future. No real date was given, but that will be a big boost to Linux wifi.

Linux Engineer
    i thought they relesaed them abotu a month ago, it wouldnt hurt to check the intel site for something.

Just Joined!
    When looking at cards , make sure you look up the chipset. That seems to be one of the major factors. I purchased 2 802.11b cards and both had Atheros chipsets. Even though madwifi says they support Atheros chipset I spent over a week screwing around with trying to configure my kernel and compiling modules with no success.

Just Joined!
    Since the 2.4 kernel release I've stuck to the orinoco cards which use the Prism chipset. Has worked for me flawlessly right from the install. I believe the netgear stuff also uses this chipset though you might want to
    verify that.