Find the answer to your Linux question:
Here is my setup: IPCop Firewall with 3 zones (Red, Green, Orange). Cable modem connection going in Red. Green is local network containing one WinXP and three Mac OS.X machines ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Internet Issue

Here is my setup:

IPCop Firewall with 3 zones (Red, Green, Orange). Cable modem connection going in Red. Green is local network containing one WinXP and three Mac OS.X machines being served by IPCop DHCP. Orange will contain one Linux (Fedora or Suse or RH9) webserver.

Problem is this:

All my machines on green work fine. I connect my webserver to the Orange zone. Set a static IP, DNS, etc. I can ping the gateway. I have the DNS as my ISP's DNS's. I cannot ping or get to any internet addresses.

I unplug from orange, and plug into Green network. I then setup for DHCP. I can ping any PC on the green network. I can still not ping or get to any internet address.

This tells me that the problem lies in some kind of Linux setup, not IPCop's orange network. I admit that I am a newbie and am very interested in learning. I have tried with the same results on Fedora and Suse, with two different network cards.

Thanks.

Linux User

check stuff

ok the webserver might need to have its dns address set to that of the ipcop box.

most routers - especially when they do nat. do not forward dns requests.

on the windows box open a dos prompt. type "ipconfig /all" use the value of the dns server on the webserver box.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!

Not sure what next

When I put the web box on the green (local) network, i set it up (DNS) just like the windows boxes, pointing DNS to the IPCop box.

This confuses me because every other pc works fine when I do this, and the webserver does too, when the OS is Win.

Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User

gateway

Have you set the default gateway address = ipcop box internal IP address.

on the green network you should be able to ping anyone. even the internet.

do you have a firewall running?
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!

Yep

Gateway is equal to IPCop internal address, just like all other boxes on green.

I can ping every device on green, except internet. Weird stuff.

Firewall is setup, but no special rules to not allow ping. I figure if a Win or Mac box can do it, why should a Linux box be able to?

Thanks.

Just Joined!

Firewall Checked

Another quick note:

I checked the firewall logs, nothing has been blocked from the Linux box.
    The linux box doesn't know what yahoo.com or anything like that is, so doesn't know where on internet to go.

Guess that makes sense.

Maybe?