Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed openSUSE and i'm trying to connect to the internet. My school uses a wired 802.1x connection. software is distributed for windows, apple has their own software but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy open1x help (802.1x connection)

I just installed openSUSE and i'm trying to connect to the internet. My school uses a wired 802.1x connection. software is distributed for windows, apple has their own software but the computer services people told me that i'm on my own and suggested open1x but said that they couldn't help.

i tried this last semester and got caught up with some stuff but i'm gonna try this again. this is my network situation:

---internet--->SUSE(authentication)---through 2nd NIC using linux's version of ICS (i think it's called NAT?)--->router--->wireless connection to xp laptop, wired connection to my network-attached storage drive

so first thing's first. on a fresh install of openSUSE 10.2, I got open1x from the website and flash drived it over to linux. i extracted it and read the install file.

then got to the terminal, CD'd to the directory and typed "./configure" without the quotes... but i got an error within a second saying that i don't have a C compiler.

i tried this open1x program when i had ubuntu a couple months ago but got really frustrated due to other libraries that were missing and linux stuff that i probably shouldn't be dealing with this early in my linux adventure; however, i NEED it to connect to the internet on my desktop.

any help with this C compiler?

Just Joined!
    So my roomate sat down and took a look at it and somehow found gcc (a c++ compiler) and go that installed. he had another problem with something called crypto and got those working (it was nice to come home and randomly see some progress!) but now i just got another error

no acceptable Java archiver found in $PATH

i also have a note from my roomate saying, "you're on your own with this one"

where do i find a Java archiver? i tried to use the "install software" option in SUSE and i installed the other java tools but apparently i'm missing the archiver.