Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everybody, I'm trying to access Internet or execute ssh connection using DSL connection (Teledat301 modem, RedHat Enterprise Linux vs. 3). However, in spite of many efforts - no success. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No Internet, but 'ping' is working - RHEL3

Hello everybody,
    I'm trying to access Internet or execute ssh connection using DSL connection (Teledat301 modem, RedHat Enterprise Linux vs. 3). However, in spite of many efforts - no success.

In Network Configuration, I have two devices set: (1) Ethernet card (eth0), and (2) xDSL connection - both were set up with the Internet Setup Wizard which comes with the system. xDSL connection activates nicely, but when trying to activate ethernet, it says: "Determining IP info for eth0... /sbin/dhclient-script: configuration for eth0:1 not found. failed."
    Attempt to ssh or ping any known host names results in : "host name unknown" type command.
    Only ping or traceroute with IP address as argument work.

Attached the output of some common commands I used
    Thanks for helping!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey, your physical interface eth0 is configured as dynamic. But there is no active DHCP server to offer an IP. You can change it to static and assign an IP that is in the range of your DSL IP (that wud be Private IP).

Your are able to ping with IP as an argument but could not ping with FQDN as an argument. It is because your /etc/resolv.conf is not pointing to a valid nameserver. Edit the file /etc/resolv.conf and provide a valid nameserver

nameserver <DNS IP>

That should solve the problem.

Cheers

Just Joined!

shouldn't matter whether or not its dynamic...

some (many new) dsl modems have a built in DHCP server...they normally assign 192.168.0.x (provided you do not have a router, switch or hub connected to it...)

as far as the connection, if you are connected directly to your modem, all the lights are on, and the link status light on your machine are on, the problem is not in the physical connection. I am curious to know whether or not the activity light is on...when your not pinging that is....

also, try pinging the modem (should be 192.168.0.1, but may not be). If you have a reply...then you need to log in to your modem and change configuration on it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    THanks for your input.
    I set eth0 and ppp0 (my xDSL) to "Statically set IP address".
    Now the ethernet activates. But nothing else changed really. Still no Web or name servers...
    I wasn't sure which address I should type in as my IP. And which address is the valid nameserver?
    The "LAN" diode on my modem is on all the time, it just flashes when pinging some host.

"route -n" gives:
    ------
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    217.0.117.5 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 eth0
    217.0.117.5 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
    169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
    0.0.0.0 217.0.117.5 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
    ------
    and from "ifconfig", ppp0 section, I got 'inet addr=87.174.108.123', and 'P-t-P=217.0.117.5'
    'inet addr' is most probably my dynamic IP (it changed after reconnecting ethernet cable).
    I set 'address=217.0.117.5' in the IP address section. Other settings: subnet mask=255.255.255.255, Default Gateway address=0.0.0.0
    I applied the same settings both for ppp0 and eth0.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberinstru
    (...) You can change it to static and assign an IP that is in the range of your DSL IP (that wud be Private IP).
    (...) Edit the file /etc/resolv.conf and provide a valid nameserver

nameserver <DNS IP>

That should solve the problem.

Cheers

Hi,
    Please rememeber, u will not get DNS server IP updated automatically once ypur PPP is up.

You have to configure your /etc/resolv.conf to point to a valid namerserver. You can talk to your ISP/BT regarding the nameserver IP.

Just Joined!

problem solved!

(1) In the file: "/etc/resolve.conf", I wrote:
    nameserver 194.25.2.129
    - which is the nameserver of my ISP

(2)
    In Network Configuration/ppp0, I chaned back to:
    Automatically obtain IP address settings with: "dialup"
    (Automatically obtain DNS info. from provider=On)
    then activated the ppp0 device, and after some seconds got: status=Active.

Ethernet has still status=Inactive, but everything works: ping, nameservers, ssh, and WWW.

Many thanks for your help, folks!
    Ivo