Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a small home network consisting of a desktop computer running windows xp home (ethernet 100mbps), a mac laptop running mac os 9.2 (wireless B), and another desktop running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question concerning linux domain controllers

I have a small home network consisting of a desktop computer running windows xp home (ethernet 100mbps), a mac laptop running mac os 9.2 (wireless B), and another desktop running 64 bit openSUSE(wireless G). I have another desktop running mandriva and would like to configure it as a server and a domain controller, but i don't know if windows xp home or pro (im thinking about upgrading) will be able to join the linux domain. I am curious to know if anyone has attempted this, or what kind of results they found if they have. Any input is appreciated. (also, I could care less about the mac, all it is used for is for my sister to have internet access when she can't get her hands on the desktop with xp home)

Just Joined!

so...3 days...no reply...im just gonna try it....see what happens.....

check back for results.....if your interested.

I run a CentOS box as my PDC. Accounts are hosted using LDAP (I use Fedora DS for that, which makes life very easy) so users on the network have the same account from Windows or Linux; but you dont have to go quite so far as that if you dont want to. I used the samba docs on the main samba site to get the config right, I just worked through it - it was straightforward enough.

One thing you'll find is that Windows XP home cannot connect to a PDC, so you cant do it for that machine without upgrading - and if you're gonna upgrade you might as well step even further and upgrade all the way to Linux.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    I run a CentOS box as my PDC. Accounts are hosted using LDAP (I use Fedora DS for that, which makes life very easy) so users on the network have the same account from Windows or Linux; but you dont have to go quite so far as that if you dont want to. I used the samba docs on the main samba site to get the config right, I just worked through it - it was straightforward enough.

One thing you'll find is that Windows XP home cannot connect to a PDC, so you cant do it for that machine without upgrading - and if you're gonna upgrade you might as well step even further and upgrade all the way to Linux.
    problem with upgrading to linux. the xp home isn't mine...its the family comp. considering that its my parents, and they aren't as computer savy as I am, they will want to stick to microsoft. As the net admin for my network though, I am free to run whatever I want to on my computers and i have pretty much free reign on the net. i am looking at upgrading to pro though, and that would fix the problem of connecting to the domain.

thanx for you input...i appreciate it...

Just Joined!

Update

I have a DSL box set up as a server on my lan, running sshd,monkey web server, and Samba. I have edited my config file to hopefully set it as the PDC, and it can see my windows home that has been put in a workgroup. I have not yet though gotten my OpenSUSE box to show up on it. It is possible that I have some subnet conflicts as I have subnetted my lan down to 6 machines including my router. Im getting closer though...

Bad news... If, by 'windows home' you mean 'Windows XP Home', then you're in trouble. It doesn't support windows domains. Try XP Pro, or better still, use that as an excuse to ditch windows for something more stable.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!

Samba & Openldap as Primary Domain Controller PDC

I have a how-to on my website http://www.opensourcehowto.org for setting up samba as a primary domain controller (PDC)

OpenLDAP LAM Samba as PDC
    http://www.opensourcehowto.org/how-t...ba-as-pdc.html

and if you feeling a little bit more adventurous later on you could try getting into the policies with samba

Samba Primary Domain Controller with Group Policies
    http://www.opensourcehowto.org/how-t...-policies.html