Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I've just ordered BT Broad Band with a FREE usb modem. ( I was to cheap to pay for a descent router Would it be possible to get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

BT broard band USB modem and linux as a router

Hi all.

I've just ordered BT Broad Band with a FREE usb modem. ( I was to cheap to pay for a descent router

Would it be possible to get a pentium 1 class machine running linux to act as a router/internet gatway to a 5 machine 98/XP LAN. ( It doesnt need to do alot else ). I needs to be fairly simple to set up. Don't know alot about BB and routing

Can't afford a router/hub/wireless box at the moment but I have various small machines and a couple of copies of red had kicking about.
    (Versions 5.1 and 6.2)

Cheers
    Rob at rob bots

Just Joined!
    Yes this can be done the best thing is to download somehting like ipcop or smoothwall have a look at this http://www.ipcop.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/IPCop/WebHome you will need 2 nic's in that box though

Just Joined!

6.2 would be ok then.

Would Red hat 6.2 on a P1 233mhz be able to handle network dhcp etc, do the routing ?
    Would I need Xfree on it or could it all be done from the command line ?

Last and not least. The Adsl modem is usb. I assume it would look like a standard nic to the system when its installed and be treated as the wan side of the router ?

Cheers

Just Joined!
    Any linux distro would do but ipcop is designed specifically for the job of a hardware router. And you can configure it from your normal pc as it has a web based interface. and yes as long as ipcop or whatever distro you choose supports usb then it should be fine.

Just Joined!

Cheers for the advice

Thanks very much for the advice.

Time to start playing

Just Joined!
    no probs

Linux User

adsl modems

I have had zero success finding support for the Intel USB modem that BT have been shipping in my area.

Sorry.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.