Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello forum. Well, I'm in some kind of situation here. See, I've got a small network at home, just two computers - my brother's XP box and my Linux box ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arrow Remotely managing Windows box from Linux

Hello forum. Well, I'm in some kind of situation here. See, I've got a small network at home, just two computers - my brother's XP box and my Linux box hooked together with a 2Wire 2700HG HomePortal ADSL Modem/Router, easy setup, only there's no way to limit incoming/outgoing traffic from it. And since my brother hogs the whole bandwidth either watching videos or doing some other completely stupid stuff, I just got tired of paying the whole bill for *HIS* internet (ab)use and me getting low xfer rates since my job requires a full internet connection - web developer.

While redirecting, say, youtube.com in his hosts file to the loopback will work, I know he opens programs that hog a ton of bandwidth (ahem, P2P) even if he's firewalled, so I thought about cmdline tools to monitor his processes and terminate them the moment they start running since I've got my own admin account on his box. I know PStools (win) does this from another windows box, but I am resilient to install it on mine because, well... it's windows after all. So basically what I'm looking for here are a set of command line tools that will let me manage processes on his box much like the "r" tools in Linux (rsh, rlogin, etc). Like I could go
    Code:
    rsh -l me hisxpbox kill bandwidthhogprocess
    Yeah, I could use the RDC client in Linux, but I want this to be more silent, stop him on his tracks while he ends up wondering what's wrong (he's not a tech person too), while eventually, denying local execution of the offending processes via my admin account.

I could get a nicer router too, but I'd like to pass on spending on more hardware, and since we're only two on the network, I simply see no point in the acquisition of new hardware.

Care to give it a try?

Thanks a lot!

Just Joined!
    Implement a proxy on your linux box (squid), configure port forwading of port 80 on router to your squid port(3128,8080). Rein in the bandwidth using delay pools.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up Yesss!

Works like a CHARM! Thanks a zillion man, I deeply appreciate it. Not only his bandwidth consumption dropped dramatically, but I get to tinker his settings to even allow/disallow stuff. Thanks again!