Find the answer to your Linux question:
Found out that the motherboards for Core 2 Duo have some difficulties with working together with linux. There sems to be problems with the IDE chipset (think ther might be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Core 2 Duo systems, incompatible with linux :(

Found out that the motherboards for Core 2 Duo have some difficulties with working together with linux.

There sems to be problems with the IDE chipset (think ther might be a patch)

There is problems with integrated networking, so if someone comes over a "network patch" please post here.

Spent all day troubleshooting about the IDE CD-drive that neverworked, and the network card that doesent work, hope this can be helpful!

Srry for my bad english, and if something here is wrong please correct me

Which distro are you trying to install ?
    Which motherboard is that ?

In fact the Core 2 Duo itself is not a problem : the issue here is the motherboard.

For maximum compatibly, you should try a distro that use a 2.6.18 kernel or newer.

I'm running Debian Etch on a Core 2 Duo (the motherboard is an Asus P5B) myself, without any issues.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    where can i download 2.6.18?

i wanted to run debian, but couldn't due to IDE trouble. Then i tried ubuntu and it worked just fine now im starting to know ubuntu so i dont wanna change. does ubuntu have support for P5B?

So which distro are you trying to install ?

Ubuntu Edgy ?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    i have reconsidered, i'm going to go for debian. kan you post a link to the iso so i get exactly the same as u used?

And do you use PATA or SATA CD-ROM Drive?

Quote Originally Posted by thahabbis
    i have reconsidered, i'm going to go for debian. kan you post a link to the iso so i get exactly the same as u used?
    I used a custom installer, based on the 2.6.19 kernel :
    http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

Then I upgraded to Etch.

You may be able to use the official Etch installer, but a daily build (as Etch RC1 won't work) :
    http://www.us.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

Quote Originally Posted by thahabbis
    And do you use PATA or SATA CD-ROM Drive?
    It is a PATA one, but I don't think it matter that much. The motherboard is what matters.

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    I'm sorry for being such a newbie.

But i didn't understand the etch thing, and i don't know witch custom installer i need.

So if you please could give me the exact links to the spesific file ill be very glad

And is it so? First i burn out the custom installer and install it om my computer, then i burn out etch and install that cd to on the server?

please help me,

It may not be the best nor the easiest way, but what I did is (simply put) install Debian using this custom installer :
    http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

Specifically I used the CD image called sarge-custom-1115.iso, for i386.

It is a net installer, meaning that Debian will download most packages from the internet during installation. So you need a broadband connection.

Debian is not a recommended distro for newbies, unless you want to make it a little hard on yourself.

If you have no prior Linux experience, you can try the latest Knoppix version (5.1.1), as it will work on this machine.

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Mabye i made it a bit hard for my self, but now every thing is up and running

Thanks for the help